Pikestones »
Severn-notswold??

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Severn-notswold??
Jan 03, 2022, 11:43
I've been having serious doubts about the assessment of this long cairn/chambered tomb/court cairn/multi phase dolmen..

If it's a classic long cairn, where is the stone, why leave the footprint but take everything else? The photo from the early 90s sites clearly a kerb? or ring anyway, which the plan from the 50s says is internal, I'm not convinced.

I've been searching but not found any early records even mentioning it. No farmers hauling away 50 cart loads etc. Stone old undated wall footings remain about 100m away however.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: Severn-notswold??
Jan 03, 2022, 23:39
Gwernvale is an example of a Severn-Cotswold long barrow where only the chamber (minus capstone) remains. Mind you, they did build a road across the edge of it. Aren't most extant chambered tombs just what's left once the mound/cairn has been removed really?

It looks as though Frances Lynch (yay, but RIP, boo) had a good look at it, she was the foremost chambered tombs expert/nutcase.

The circular "kerb" in some of the 90s photos on here looks a bit suspect - are the stones even earthfast?

Anyway, I'm only putting off going to sleep in the self-delusion that it's not time to get back to work, so enough rambling!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jan 04, 2022, 01:02
"expert/nutcase"

Fantastic!

Thank you for making me laugh out loud.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Feb 10, 2022, 16:24
Totally missed this reply. The 50s examination was typographically based with I think is the frances lynch one. It gets ripped apart in the 70s (?) one. I'll dig out the refs, cant recall off the top of hy head. The circle being / not being earth fast is an interesting q, the grass is always much higher even in the depths of winter so I've not been up to explicitly try and find them.

Waiting for a high def lidar to become available atm to confirm the mound.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index