Some advice needed…

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Some advice needed…
Jul 20, 2021, 14:24
Julian's book TMA is NOT an extensive gazetteer by any manner of means... lovely tome that it is. However this very website is getting there and has quite an extensive coverage but is by no means complete.
I would suggest a combination of maybe Burl's book already mentioned (and Burls wrote quite a few...) this website and the existing National databases such as Canmore we have in Scotland.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/search/result?SITECOUNTRY=0&view=map

I would also suggest being very sure of where exactly you are headed. Use Bing, Google Maps, directions on websites like TMA etc. It is really easy to miss a path and spend half of a much looked forward to day wandering trying to find a stone in a forest. Prepare for field trips!

But most of all I would suggest that you go and seek what you are interested in be it chambered cairns, standing stones, stone circles, Rock Art etc. If it is a combination that is cool too! But go along to each site with a fresh pair of eyes.. by all means read about it, look at other people's photos etc. But go along with a fresh pair of eyes and an inquiring mind. As a fine archaeologist friend said to me many years ago (which bore great fruit) "If you visit a site thinking you know what you are going to see... then you will never see anything else."
Happy stoning and keep rocking!

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index