13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Some advice needed…
Jul 19, 2021, 14:43
thesussexidler wrote:
I’d really like to get out & start visiting some UK stones. I can’t afford TMA but would like to get a useful field guide - what would you guys recommend, please?

Hello there,
TSC offers good advice as one would expect from him, but may I add to that. When I started out on the long but fascinating road to the stones, I read the books at the time that appeared to be spot on in there content, advice and interpretation. As the years rolled on (I'm 75 now) archaeology become much more understood as dating and the like began to turn earlier beliefs on there head along with many of the claims made by certain authors who quite obviously had either not visited sites or just copied the works of others and views changed. My advice to you would be to yes, of course buy books and maps to show you the way there, but go no further than that until you have visited the site alone and taken it all in without others distracting you. Spend time filming with a video camera and make comments about what you are seeing and observing in front of you at the time, now matter how small. Take measurements and use a compass and gain as much info as you can gather at the time WITHOUT depending on what others had said in their books or articles beforehand. The time for that is when you have studied that site completely and in a position to agree with them or offer your own findings to a respected modern archaeologist - not a troll on a social media site as your interest will be destroyed before you've even started.

All the best
Sanctuary

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index