Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

The Burren documentary
Apr 20, 2021, 20:14
New documentary series narrated by Brendan Gleeson:
https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-burren-heart-of-stone/SI0000008368?epguid=IP000064777

I'm not sure about access from outside of Ireland, but if you can, give it a go, the second episode especially.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: The Burren documentary
Apr 21, 2021, 17:39
That looks lovely, Ryaner. I could see a tiny clip online at least, but sadly not the programme. I expect there are ways.
That is definitely a part of Ireland I would like to visit. All those interesting plants and animals, plus the strange landscape and all the archaeology. One day. When we're eventually allowed.
Hope you are doing ok?! You seem to have been able to get out and about judging by your posts, which is good.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Apr 21, 2021, 20:12
I'm good Rhiannon thanks and yes I've been out a bit, but nowhere too far away. Some of the restrictions are beginning to be lifted so here's hoping. The programme captures some of the aching awesomeness of the Burren, but yes, you should really experience it for yourself. Hope you and yours are well.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Apr 27, 2021, 16:11
Apr 23, 2021, 08:07
Hi Rhiannon and ryaner,

I couldn't access the RTE player, only managed a black screen , will try again later though.

VIsited the Burren in May 2018, it was indeed the most amazing and yes, magical place. Apart from the famous Poulnabrone dolmen there is a wealth of other archaeology to discover. And so much more besides ... just had a quick look back on some field notes and came across this for the Poulnabrone visit on our first day
... wild flowers out in profusion. Orchids, violets, primroses are everywhere, also gentian and large patches of mountain avens. Two delicate quite rare alpine flowers I've personally never seen before.
The Burren is famous for the Spring Gentian and we saw lots of them - on occasion our walks were done to the sound of a distant cuckoo. It was a great memorable week.
costaexpress
77 posts

Apr 25, 2021, 09:00
This worked for me

1. Click on link from ryaner
2. Black screen comes up
3. Enter Burren into search box and press enter
4. Right click on picture and press open in a new box
5. Press play 1st episode and series 2 episode 2 starts playing

Hope it works for you too
GLADMAN
949 posts

Apr 25, 2021, 11:09
The trouble with The Burren - great, surreal landscape that it is - is I always get visions of 'Benson's Whistle'....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Apr 25, 2021, 23:54
https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40274570.html
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 18:16
Thanks fer that tip, worked a treat.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 22:10
Just read that, interesting stuff. Hard to imagine the Neolithic peeps of Western Ireland looking like they're from Sardinia. Mind you, some of those Sardinian tombs do look a lot like those later Western Irish ones. I wonder if Cope was aware of this when he embarked on his Sardinian set '131' book and Neon Sardinia projects. My great great grandad was from Western Ireland before settling in West Wales, then on to the Midlands. I got (well had, it's mostly grey now) dark brown hair and brown eyes and even a small amount of sun causes me to tan very quickly...makes me wonder if there's a connection, even after all this time, though probably just wishful thinking :)
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 22:32
Monganaut, you might want to consider this: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/early-irish-people-were-dark-skinned-with-blue-eyes-documentary-1.4541124

It's in part two of the documentary. Needless to say it hasn't gone down well with the white supremacists.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index