Stonehenge

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
949 posts

Re: Stonehenge
Feb 13, 2021, 16:06
tomatoman wrote:
The subject of Stonehenge always elicits controversy and I can understand why, but I've never understood the antipathy towards MPP. Is it "science-led"?
I saw him at a lecture at Leicester University 5 or 6 years ago, arranged by the Leicestershire Field-walkers Group and the first thing he acknowledged when he got on his feet was that the audience was peppered with sceptics, not of his subject, but HIM.
In my experience, that's in the nature of archaeological endeavour. I just don't understand why it's gets so personal.

Maybe his sceptics believe he looks for evidence to fit his theories... rather than recording what's there and hypothesising solely upon that? I guess it would be very un-human to be completely unbiased when it comes to interpretation when you are so passionate about something. And he does seem a decent enough chap, to be fair. However all roads once again lead - and all resources seem to be devoted - to Stonehenge. I'm more excited about confirming a new 'circle in Pembrokeshire, myself....
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index