Burhill Fort

6 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Burhill Fort
Feb 08, 2021, 21:49
Cheers. Yeah, if you walk that 'circular' section of the Cotswold Way from Broadway to Shenbarrow and back, it's quite tiring in an up and down kinda way (and with a very claggy/clinging mud in the wet). I was just thinking in terms of y'now, neither are large 'settlements'. They are not far from one another, and there's a good possibility that they were built/owned/used by the same extended family/tribe/group or whatever. I think I read that Shenbarrow may have evolved from an earlier Bronze age settlement (as a lot of later forts did).

We were at Kinver Edge yesterday fer a walk, and there is a similar set up there, being two forts/settlements at each end of a long scarp, both with decent natural drop offs at either end. They are only a mile or two away, and again, settlements are not directly intervisible (but both are able to see the farther surrounding settlements/forts which ring the distant hills of the area...Wychbury/ Clee Hill, Oldbury, Wednesbury, Malvern etc...

Anyway, Just got distracted and I've lost my train of thought and forgot what I was trying to say, so I'll quit while I'm ahead :)

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index