Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
BRAC Update

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
markj99
11 posts

BRAC Update
Jan 05, 2021, 19:03
Being a relatively new TMA recruit I wasn't aware of the story behind the BRAC webside and it's founder Jan Brouwer. Ironically Jan Brouwer and the original British Rock Art Collection both met their demise in 2011. Happily, Jan's friends rescued 18000 photos of Rock Art from 1200 sites the length and breadth of the United Kingdom. Graeme Chappell was instrumental in reposting the pictures on a new BRAC website in the JALBUM format.
I noticed that all the BRAC links were obsolete, so, having time on my hands, I resolved to update all the rockartuk links. I overlooked the fact that not all the pictures were taken by rockartuk. I would like to take this opportunity to ask all contributers to BRAC if they are in an agreement with my proposed update. I seek forgiveness for the c. 70 updates previously posted.
markj99
11 posts

Re: BRAC Update
Jan 05, 2021, 20:31
I was not aware of ERA but it is regrettable that a valuable resource is no longer available. We can only hope this is an isolated event. Mark
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2554 posts

Jan 06, 2021, 13:55
Nice one, it will be nice to see the photos again. I spoke to Jan often as he'd send me to various places, some even in Aberdeenshire unknown to me, to take photos, or discuss the pieces of rock art which I'd found. Great stuff :-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 06, 2021, 16:48
I have a feeling a couple of my photos are on there, and that being the case, you are most welcome to reinstate them. :) They may well be attributed to Graham Orriss, who is my earthly representative. ;)

G x
scubi63
463 posts

Jan 06, 2021, 18:40
I think there are a couple on there of mine (Chris Brooks) which you are welcome to re-link :)
markj99
11 posts

Jan 08, 2021, 10:13
Thanks to the positive comments and Graeme Chappell's encouragement I have resumed my BRAC Updating. I have actually learned a lot about Rock Art even about Dumfries and Galloway sites. I have found plenty of sites to explore in better times.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jan 09, 2021, 21:18
Excellent! Plus, as you say, you will know all the best spots to visit.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jan 15, 2021, 11:27
Jan was a very cool guy! I contributed lots of pics to his website and I'm happy for links to be updated. I was very glad when BRAC eventually reappeared after its original host company shut down operations. As Jan used to sign off his emails... "Keep on rockin' !"
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index