Right to Roam

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Right to Roam - The Book of Trespass
Feb 20, 2021, 14:25
tjj wrote:
To exclude people (a cross-section is good) from walking in the countryside because they might drop litter seems perverse. The Kinder Trespass back in 1932 fought for the right to roam - the act of walking on someone else's property is not currently a criminal act. Leaving litter should be, causing damage definitely is.

Seems to me that the ranger was highlighting the fact (evidenced by first-hand knowledge, or so it would appear) that the influx of visitors from previously absent demograhics - something the National Park governing bodies have been advocating for many years - is causing rising instances of anti-social behaviour, environmental damage and impediment to locals working in Snowdonia.... and, specifically, that notice of these outcomes appear to come to those governing bodies as an unpleasant surprise. After all, they bodies have always viewed the 'white middle-class hillwalker' as the 'problem'. I guess it must be embarrassing (at the very least) for them to be presented with contradictory evidence to negate their stereotypical generalisations. As usual, issues are more complex than that and will require a lot more work to balance pollution/erosion etc with everyone's enjoyment across the board. In my opinion, it's nothing to do with 'class' or 'creed' and other such divisive rubbish; everything to do with taking responsibility for your own actions and not harming others.

For what it's worth, in my view 'rights' come - or at least should come - with inherent responsibilities that, if they are abused, should negate those rights for the individuals concerned. Provided visitors treat the countryside and other people with due consideration and respect I am in favour of a Scotland-type full right to roam. To be honest, with a few notable exceptions - such as sections of The Arans, Nantlle Ridge etc - I can confirm from experience such an unofficial state of affairs has been in place for decades in Wales.... I struggle to recall an instance where my request to access somewhere off the beaten track was refused. However, having talked to farmers over the years tales of the crass stupidity and ignorance of some visitors beggars belief. Some landowners, too, naturally.

Criminalising instances of 'trespass' per se is an extreme step that must be resisted at all costs. However, we mustn't lose sight of the fact that the onus is on everybody to treat as they would be treated and respect the countryside. Recent events have only highlighted that some 'groupings' of visitors to our National parks have an awful lot to learn.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index