Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2020, 10:29
Right to Roam
Aug 17, 2020, 08:40
Bit off topic I know.

Posting this link to a blog about Right to Roam in case anyone is interested. We all need access to them stones.

https://markavery.info/2020/08/17/guest-blog-right-to-roam-by-nick-hayes/

More info here

https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Right to Roam
Aug 17, 2020, 10:59
Thank you for posting this, a subject very close to my heart. Nothing like climbing over a barbed wire fence to feel a sense of achievement when hunting down an obscure ruined tomb (particularly applicable to Ireland where we really did get chased off someone's land once).

The Book of Trespass by Nick Hayes is on my 'wish' list. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but it really does have a good one.
Have also signed the petition.
My trespass days feel as though they may be a thing of the past in our strange new world but (like planting trees) we hand the baton on to the next generation.
Another little book people might like to read is The Fish Ladder by Katherine Norbury - it is actually her own personal story which she weaves around following various rivers in the UK back to their source - the most northerly one being Dunbeath which takes her to Loch Braighe na h'Aibbne. In another instance near the source of the Severn she steps into a puddle which turns out to be a bog and is covered completely with muddy water - fortunately her young daughter is with her to help her climb out.

I like to think my mind will always trespass - even when I choose not to stray from the well trodden path.
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2020, 11:16
Aug 17, 2020, 11:08
tjj wrote:
I like to think my mind will always trespass - even when I choose not to stray from the well trodden path.

Love your last line tjj.

'The Fish Ladder' sounds interesting, I'll have a look out for it. There is something very special about the source of rivers.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Aug 20, 2020, 02:37
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/19/pandemic-right-to-roam-england?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 20, 2020, 20:34
ryaner wrote:

I've just read this well written George Monbiot article, very much in support of Nick Hayes' book. Am definitely going to be asking for it (when that certain time of year rolls around again) as from what I have seen it is superbly illustrated as well. He has some eminent supporters too ...

'What a brilliant, passionate and political book this is . . . It tells - through story, exploration, evocation - the history of trespass (and therefore of freedom) in England and beyond, while also making a powerful case for future change. It is bold and brave, as well as beautiful; Hayes's voice is warm, funny, smart and inspiring. The Book of Trespass will make you see landscapes differently' - Robert Macfarlane
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 23, 2020, 08:05
Superb, thank you for that.

As Cope sang so memorably in Autogeddon Blues, "It's a barbed wire fence, which side d'you choose?"

Criminalisation of trespass has got to be fought.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 23, 2020, 08:38
Just been sent a link to this:

https://ravenellison.com/portfolio/slow-ways/

"Slow Ways is a project to create a network of walking routes that connect all of Great Britain’s towns and cities as well as thousands of villages.

Using existing footpaths, people will be able to use the Slow Ways to walk between neighbouring settlements or daisy-chain routes for long distance journeys."
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Aug 23, 2020, 10:04
I liked his film here too https://ravenellison.com/2018/09/25/the-ukin100seconds/
100 seconds of someone walking, divided up to show what the proportion of different land coverage is in this country (and narrated by the excellent Benjamin Zephaniah).
Glad to see you surface, TSC. I hope you've been alright and getting your fix of the outdoors?
thelonious
330 posts

Aug 23, 2020, 13:09
"... So I'll walk where I will over mountain and hill
And I'll lie where the bracken is deep
I belong to the mountains, the clear running fountains
Where the grey rocks lie ragged and steep
I've seen the white hare in the gullys
And the curlew fly high overhead
And sooner than part from the mountains
I think I would rather be dead."

It's good to ramble :-) I wonder when the countryside became 'another place' to us. To visit if lucky but not belong. Bit sad really.
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2020, 13:19
Aug 23, 2020, 13:16
I've been following the Slow Ways project with interest. I just love the name 'Slow ways'. Nice to read about something new that isn't all about 'taking it to the max' or 'against the clock' etc for a change. People are in such a rush nowadays.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index