64,000 year Neanderthal Cave Art

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Amil04
447 posts

64,000 year Neanderthal Cave Art
Feb 23, 2018, 18:40
Can’t find much in UK press....as yet.

www.latimes.com/.../la-sci...artists-20180222-htmlstory.html

A few years ago it came to my attention that there are big differences of opinion amongst professional cave art researchers...after being in email contact with one or two...name calling etc, ‘ a tumour on our profession’ At least one of this team has been banned from many caves in France!

Let the games begin!

I’ll be watching with interest!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: 64,000 year Neanderthal Cave Art
Feb 23, 2018, 18:44
This is the paper: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/359/6378/912

And a bit of early commentary: http://www.therocksremain.org/2018/02/wherefore-art-thou-neanderthal.html
Amil04
447 posts

Feb 23, 2018, 19:13
Crikey! You’re on the ball! I only went to put the kettle on!

Thanks for the links, I’ll take a proper look this evening if possible and hopefully they along with information in other articles may go some way to answer the queue of questions in my mind.
I presume the team was formed with the specific intention of finding art that could be dated to Mid/late Neanderthal era...thus ruling out modern humans.
I’m initially sceptical..but that’s just me. Archaeology has become so politicized and monetised. I have however no problem with the idea of Neanderthals creating art. (?)

A 64,000 year question!
CR
29 posts

Mar 12, 2018, 16:22
An interesting topic.

Always worth bearing in mind that for the vast majority time since c.200 thousand years ago (ie earliest Homo s. s. linage) and prior to the Late Pleistocene/Holocene, we have no physical evidence for art among Homo sapiens sapiens either...

...this large fact does nothing to speak to the potential/latency for 'art' among other late Homo groups :/

The presence of very skillfully made symmetrical handaxes from 500+ thousand years ago has long been considered as arguably 'art' - at least in terms of the importance of pleasing object-forms, not simply functional necessity.

The ability to make music - specifically harmonized singing has been suggested as possibly a pre-cursor to formal language. The debate is open on that issue and origins.

Singing, story-telling, dancing and music, and love making can all be seen as associated with wider complex including 'language', and the passing on of knowledge, practices, and traditions . There are clear evolutionary benefits for this kind of social interaction, especially in terms of complex childhood development. Likely these positive 'feedbacks' continually influenced all Homo species and possibly ancestral Australopithecus before them.

Where does art start and end when we consider singing?

Personally I think it safe to start assuming 'craft' and 'decorative' abilities from the late Homo erctus-types, affiliates and descendants onward; including Sapiens, Neanderthal and Denovisian - all had small flint tools for possible 'decorative' work.

To Summarize:
Painted and carved rocks (which actually survive) are only a small sub-set of 'art' in hunter-gather life-styles - we can assume much 'care-fully crafted' material, never mind social practices like singing, simply do not survive archaeologically.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index