Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Should Britain stop building museums?

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Should Britain stop building museums?
Feb 21, 2018, 11:31
tjj wrote:
I don't know whether this is an appropriate forum topic for TMA ... Perhaps.

"A recent government report says that Britain should stop building new museums and focus on the ones it already has. But with limited public funding available, how far can existing museums diversify and grow?"

A thought provoking article from Alistair Brown, Policy Officer at the Museums Association.
https://www.apollo-magazine.com/should-britain-stop-building-museums/

I live in a town with a great archaeological heritage as well as one of the best collections of 20th century art in the country. Problem is its current museum and art gallery is tiny so most of the collection is in storage. There is currently a bid being put forward to HLF for a state of the art new building as opposed to another faction who want to utilise an existing Victorian 'heritage' building. I think I'm probably in the latter.

We have a wonderful museum down here in Launceston (Cornwall) which I'm ashamed to say I only made my first visit to last year. Thinking it would just be filled with 'local stuff' that I arrogantly thought I would already know about, I'd always given it a miss. How wrong I was and have now been back twice more.
The sad part is that on my visits I have virtually had the place to myself and because of this lack of custom, the museum is now totally staffed by unpaid volunteers who are, without exception, furiously enthusiastic retired folk! Without them it would fold - no question!

I suppose you have to be realistic and if, like any other business, you are not attracting Joe Public in, your days are numbered!

We have a great many other attractions in Cornwall that parents prefer to take their kids to these days just to keep them quiet and let's face it, *most* kids see traditional museums as just stuffy old places until much later in life.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index