Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Should Britain stop building museums?

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Re: Should Britain stop building museums?
Feb 20, 2018, 18:27
A bit off topic but here's what can happen when new and shiney premises are put forward over the perfectly acceptable buildings already there.

To elaborate on the Brum Library situation, the new library has been a bit of a disaster tbh. The building may look striking (I preferred the old one myself) but after opening, austerity measures (and £1.1 Bn compensation pay out from a court case about equal pay) meant that there was a freeze on buying new books, with the library printing leaflets asking for book donations, opening hours were cut by 40%, then it was 'discovered' thousands of books were 'unreachable' by librarians, and the library was 'unfit' for purpose.
Top architect designs white elephant. You couldn't make it up. The site of the old library is currently a 'bombsite' of redevelopment, and has been for a year or more. My missus works in th city, and recons they are just creating a massive wind tunnel that will be quite dangerous on blustery days. Time will tell.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-33878844
https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/library-birmingham-thousands-books-cant-6911157

We once had a free science museum, now moved and rebranded Thinktank, in a part of town that till very recently was waaaaay off the beaten track. They charge 13.50 (adult Price) for about half the exhibits of the old place, and have managed to damage wheel bearings from inactivity of a once rolling steam exhibit.

Much as I do love a good museum, my two pee worth is that many new ones are not really worth it. The obsession with 'interactive' exhibits means they can become gimicky, and return visits can get a little samey. Also, it's not like we're short of museums. Open any recent A-Z, and you are spoiled for choice. Pretty much any town of more than a few thousand inhabitants has a museum dedicated to something or other, and many only repeat the same or similar exhibits as many others.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index