Should Britain stop building museums?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Should Britain stop building museums?
Feb 20, 2018, 11:44
I don't know whether this is an appropriate forum topic for TMA ... Perhaps.

"A recent government report says that Britain should stop building new museums and focus on the ones it already has. But with limited public funding available, how far can existing museums diversify and grow?"

A thought provoking article from Alistair Brown, Policy Officer at the Museums Association.
https://www.apollo-magazine.com/should-britain-stop-building-museums/

I live in a town with a great archaeological heritage as well as one of the best collections of 20th century art in the country. Problem is its current museum and art gallery is tiny so most of the collection is in storage. There is currently a bid being put forward to HLF for a state of the art new building as opposed to another faction who want to utilise an existing Victorian 'heritage' building. I think I'm probably in the latter.
tomatoman
118 posts

Re: Should Britain stop building museums?
Feb 20, 2018, 13:52
In my experience the case for most provincial developments seems to revolve around trying to boost the local economy, often based on spurious projections of extra tourist foot-fall. Clearly, any development, whether in a new or restored setting, needs to have a credible commercial case, but I prefer the core justification to be about exposing people to long-hidden treasures or relocation of collections from an expensive London (or Edinburgh) site to an equally viable alternative in the styx.
I'm neutral on whether to build new or restore; the important thing is a valid, well thought-through plan. (The worst case edifice I know of was the Birmingham City Library, built at great expense in 1974 only to be demolished in 2013, once its £188.8M replacement was complete or perhaps the Burrell Collection in Glasgow, opened in 1983, only to be closed in 2016 because of leaking roofs. (I visited just prior to closure and was appalled to see the extent of roped-off exhibition space because of water ingress.) Now the building is being renewed (£66M), part-managed by a committee who presided over the original scheme.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 20, 2018, 17:24
tomatoman wrote:
In my experience the case for most provincial developments seems to revolve around trying to boost the local economy, often based on spurious projections of extra tourist foot-fall. Clearly, any development, whether in a new or restored setting, needs to have a credible commercial case, but I prefer the core justification to be about exposing people to long-hidden treasures or relocation of collections from an expensive London (or Edinburgh) site to an equally viable alternative in the styx.
I'm neutral on whether to build new or restore; the important thing is a valid, well thought-through plan. (The worst case edifice I know of was the Birmingham City Library, built at great expense in 1974 only to be demolished in 2013, once its £188.8M replacement was complete or perhaps the Burrell Collection in Glasgow, opened in 1983, only to be closed in 2016 because of leaking roofs. (I visited just prior to closure and was appalled to see the extent of roped-off exhibition space because of water ingress.) Now the building is being renewed (£66M), part-managed by a committee who presided over the original scheme.

Thank you for your reply and for putting some thought into it. I did not know that about Birmingham City Library.
I'm not sure if my town qualifies as the styx (some might say yes, as it is a river in Hades) or 'the sticks' - a large working town with a poor image complex - in north Wiltshire not far from Avebury. With none of the tourist or cultural value of cities like Bristol, Bath or Oxford. It is hoped a new museum/art gallery would improve the image of the town which grew from a market town on hill, to industrialised railway town (the Carriage Works building is the 'heritage' building some people would like to see utilised as a new museum) then with arrival of the M4 suffered a far too fast expansion of housing developments, a large car factory and many, various other companies. What the town sorely lacks is Culture at its centre - or even for that matter a definite centre.
There was a slightly puzzling piece in the local newspaper at the weekend that argues Swindon needs a new museum to house all the 'treasures' yet to be discovered after all the even more housing developments get under way. I shudder at the thought ...
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16030154.Housing_developments_expected_to_unearth_untold_treasures/
tomatoman
118 posts

Feb 20, 2018, 17:43
Not like me to commit such a faux pas!
I've visited the Railway Museum which was fascinating, but I guess the Carriage Works is a different complex. If there is a quandary over whether to refurb or build new here, for me, the issue would be is a restoration good value-for-money or not. They can be money-pits but then, so can new-build!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Feb 20, 2018, 18:27
A bit off topic but here's what can happen when new and shiney premises are put forward over the perfectly acceptable buildings already there.

To elaborate on the Brum Library situation, the new library has been a bit of a disaster tbh. The building may look striking (I preferred the old one myself) but after opening, austerity measures (and £1.1 Bn compensation pay out from a court case about equal pay) meant that there was a freeze on buying new books, with the library printing leaflets asking for book donations, opening hours were cut by 40%, then it was 'discovered' thousands of books were 'unreachable' by librarians, and the library was 'unfit' for purpose.
Top architect designs white elephant. You couldn't make it up. The site of the old library is currently a 'bombsite' of redevelopment, and has been for a year or more. My missus works in th city, and recons they are just creating a massive wind tunnel that will be quite dangerous on blustery days. Time will tell.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-33878844
https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/library-birmingham-thousands-books-cant-6911157

We once had a free science museum, now moved and rebranded Thinktank, in a part of town that till very recently was waaaaay off the beaten track. They charge 13.50 (adult Price) for about half the exhibits of the old place, and have managed to damage wheel bearings from inactivity of a once rolling steam exhibit.

Much as I do love a good museum, my two pee worth is that many new ones are not really worth it. The obsession with 'interactive' exhibits means they can become gimicky, and return visits can get a little samey. Also, it's not like we're short of museums. Open any recent A-Z, and you are spoiled for choice. Pretty much any town of more than a few thousand inhabitants has a museum dedicated to something or other, and many only repeat the same or similar exhibits as many others.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 20, 2018, 23:06
Feb 20, 2018, 20:22
Monganaut wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-33878844
https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/library-birmingham-thousands-books-cant-6911157

Much as I do love a good museum, my two pee worth is that many new ones are not really worth it. The obsession with 'interactive' exhibits means they can become gimicky, and return visits can get a little samey. Also, it's not like we're short of museums. Open any recent A-Z, and you are spoiled for choice. Pretty much any town of more than a few thousand inhabitants has a museum dedicated to something or other, and many only repeat the same or similar exhibits as many others.

A library with books that can't be reached - you really couldn't make that up. How sad. Not really off topic M, I agree with you about using buildings already there. This is not the case with Swindon though, ten years ago a new Central Library was completed replacing temporary portacabin type buildings which had served the town for over fifty years. The new library is one of the best designed buildings to be built in the town in over 100 years. Sadly many of the smaller libraries in outer reaches the town have now closed due to council cost cutting.
Would like to see a museum and art gallery built or rebuilt for future generations. A place of learning and inspiration.

Edited (for brevity)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 21, 2018, 10:47
Here's the Museum Closures Map https://www.museumsassociation.org/campaigns/museum-funding/19062013-museum-closures-map
.... illustrating the progress so far of the Tory master plan.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 21, 2018, 11:31
tjj wrote:
I don't know whether this is an appropriate forum topic for TMA ... Perhaps.

"A recent government report says that Britain should stop building new museums and focus on the ones it already has. But with limited public funding available, how far can existing museums diversify and grow?"

A thought provoking article from Alistair Brown, Policy Officer at the Museums Association.
https://www.apollo-magazine.com/should-britain-stop-building-museums/

I live in a town with a great archaeological heritage as well as one of the best collections of 20th century art in the country. Problem is its current museum and art gallery is tiny so most of the collection is in storage. There is currently a bid being put forward to HLF for a state of the art new building as opposed to another faction who want to utilise an existing Victorian 'heritage' building. I think I'm probably in the latter.

We have a wonderful museum down here in Launceston (Cornwall) which I'm ashamed to say I only made my first visit to last year. Thinking it would just be filled with 'local stuff' that I arrogantly thought I would already know about, I'd always given it a miss. How wrong I was and have now been back twice more.
The sad part is that on my visits I have virtually had the place to myself and because of this lack of custom, the museum is now totally staffed by unpaid volunteers who are, without exception, furiously enthusiastic retired folk! Without them it would fold - no question!

I suppose you have to be realistic and if, like any other business, you are not attracting Joe Public in, your days are numbered!

We have a great many other attractions in Cornwall that parents prefer to take their kids to these days just to keep them quiet and let's face it, *most* kids see traditional museums as just stuffy old places until much later in life.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 21, 2018, 17:15
nigelswift wrote:
Here's the Museum Closures Map https://www.museumsassociation.org/campaigns/museum-funding/19062013-museum-closures-map
.... illustrating the progress so far of the Tory master plan.

Reasons to be gloomy Part 127 ... won't go into all the others but count library closures amongst them. I thought David Davies promised we weren't going to become a dystopian desert ... seems culturally we are well on the way. Sad to see the DH Lawrence Heritage Centre in Nottingham in that lot and, more locally, the Lackam Museum of Agricultural and Rural Life.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2018, 17:31
Feb 21, 2018, 17:28
Sanctuary wrote:

We have a wonderful museum down here in Launceston (Cornwall) which I'm ashamed to say I only made my first visit to last year. Thinking it would just be filled with 'local stuff' that I arrogantly thought I would already know about, I'd always given it a miss. How wrong I was and have now been back twice more.
The sad part is that on my visits I have virtually had the place to myself and because of this lack of custom, the museum is now totally staffed by unpaid volunteers who are, without exception, furiously enthusiastic retired folk! Without them it would fold - no question!

I suppose you have to be realistic and if, like any other business, you are not attracting Joe Public in, your days are numbered!

We have a great many other attractions in Cornwall that parents prefer to take their kids to these days just to keep them quiet and let's face it, *most* kids see traditional museums as just stuffy old places until much later in life.

Stopped for lunch in Launceston on the way back from a few days in Fowey last year. I liked the town a lot, just an ordinary little working town without the touristy feel most of the coastal villages have. I'm sure we would have visited the museum if we had seen it. You are right though, I don't visit my local museum very often even though it's free (also a very fine but small art gallery boasting works by well known 20th century artists such as Lowry).
What will happen I wonder when the internet finally crashes big time, most of the libraries and museums closed, book shops a thing of the past - there will be a whole new level of archaeological investigation waiting for our descendants in centuries (or perhaps even decades) to come.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index