https://www.archaeology.co.uk/vote
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 08, 2017, 00:02
Re: Current Archaeology Awards
Dec 07, 2017, 23:48
tjj wrote:

I initially thought it best to leave this link here without comment. However, if anyone needs a little nudge just to remind people that Blick Mead has recently been discussed on this forum and is a very worthy candidate for 'Research Project of the Year'.

Whilst recognising the merit of all three nominees, may I respectfully suggest Jim Leary as 'Archaeologist of the Year'.
To quote from the above link:
Jim directs the Archaeology Field School in the Department of Archaeology at the University of Reading. He joined the University in 2013 after more than 15 years of professional experience – with English Heritage, and before that with a commercial archaeological unit. In 2007/8 he directed fieldwork at the huge Neolithic mound of Silbury Hill in the Avebury & Stonehenge World Heritage Site, which involved excavating a tunnel into its centre. Since 2010 he has been investigating the Vale of Pewsey in Wiltshire, particularly the Neolithic ceremonial arena of Marden henge, as well as Wilsford henge and Cat’s Brain Long Barrow. He also directs the Leverhulme Trust-funded Round Mounds Project; an investigation of large round mounds across England. In 2015 Jim published The Remembered Land; a book looking at the way people experienced and responded to sea-level rise in the past, and is currently writing a book on the way people walked and moved around the landscape in the past. ...

Thank you
tjj
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 10, 2017, 17:34
Anybody can vote. You dont even need to log in or be registered. You can also vote multiple times if you go to the link on different browsers. I have nine different browsers on my PC. If everyone on TMA used multiple browsers and cast multiple votes there could be havoc, anarchy and the state of British Archaeology could be changed forever.

It is a warning to us all.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 11, 2017, 06:45
Howburn Digger wrote:
Anybody can vote. You dont even need to log in or be registered. You can also vote multiple times if you go to the link on different browsers. I have nine different browsers on my PC. If everyone on TMA used multiple browsers and cast multiple votes there could be havoc, anarchy and the state of British Archaeology could be changed forever.

Well Timothy Darvill, Offa's Dyke Book, Blick Mead, and Pocklington square barrow for rescue project for me.
It is all silly, archaeologists bouncing around for prominence at the most 'important sites'. The top bouncers will all end up with over-inflated salaries like the vice-chancellors in Bath!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 11, 2017, 08:46
moss wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:

Well Timothy Darvill, Offa's Dyke Book, Blick Mead, and Pocklington square barrow for rescue project for me.
It is all silly, archaeologists bouncing around for prominence at the most 'important sites'. The top bouncers will all end up with over-inflated salaries like the vice-chancellors in Bath!

I won't vote personally as there must be far more archaeos out there doing equally good work in their own way but never mentioned.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 11, 2017, 11:35
Howburn Digger wrote:

It does seem anyone can vote which is why I put it here. I admit to a bit of bias towards Jim Leary because of the way he stepped up to the mark in the 2007 work undertaken at Silbury - under very difficult circumstances I recall.

As for voting twice - I guess its possible to do that in error but a bit pointless to deliberately do it. Anyway its not that important in the great scheme of things.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index