The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Mapping the U.K.'s Many, Many Names for Streams

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2017, 20:05
Mapping the U.K.'s Many, Many Names for Streams
Nov 03, 2017, 20:03
Sorry I know this has nothing to do with megalithic stuff but I like the map colours and patterns and thought it might be of interest :-)

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/stream-name-maps-united-kingdom.amp
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Mapping the U.K.'s Many, Many Names for Streams
Nov 04, 2017, 09:52
I just love maps and rivers, our favourite place is Wheeldale Beck, a tumble of rocks, gnarled hawthorns and rowan trees. The water runs brown from the moors. The river behind our home starts from Rosedale Moor and it would be interesting to trace its beginning. We also have a river that runs 'backwards' due to some geological happening I think.
thelonious
330 posts

Nov 05, 2017, 18:08
I've been lucky to visit the North York Moors a few times in the last couple of years. We were very taken with the area which is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Only scratched the surface really, would be nice to go back again.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Nov 05, 2017, 19:21
Thanks for that, lovely diagrams. Wonder if there is an equivalent for rivers and their names. A couple of my fav streams are over on the Long Mynnd. Callow Hollow and Ashes Hollow both have lovely babbling brooks that cut through the rock and have formed wonderful valleys shrouded in trees and plants.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index