Stonehenge & Environs

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stonehenge & Environs
Nov 04, 2017, 07:16
carol27 wrote:

Yes, sorry June. I have an authority problem. Time to grow up..perhaps a bit late now! Obviously not last post & I'm sure Smithys spot on x Its just.....grr!

Everyone has an authority problem, the trick is to accept it when its appropriate. I'm happy to be told to keep off Blick Mead for the reasons given. And try as I might I couldn't see anything objectionable in what Smithone said although maybe they're like me, uncompromising when it comes to protection.
costaexpress
77 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 07:39
Thank you for the link, however, I have walked extensively around these sites over recent years, what I am doing on my next trip is putting some of the more recent revelations from around the river sites into context with the greater Stonehenge environment hence my interest in Blick Mead and Bluestone henge
costaexpress
77 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 07:49
I personally thought it quite illuminating, I immediately placed him or her at the far end of the archaeological spectrum where righteous prigs reside, I then chuckled to myself as I realised he had placed me at the other end as a mere tourist who should be satisfied and pleased to wait for the next academic outpouring in some badly subscribed magazine rather than daring to think I would go out there and investigate for myself
costaexpress
77 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 07:50
Looks like we both simply hate being told what we can and cannot do
costaexpress
77 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 07:52
Smith one please under no circumstances rely on me, I will only ever let you down
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 08:00
costaexpress wrote:
Looks like we both simply hate being told what we can and cannot do

No-one does, but that's no reason to say their tone was unfair when it wasn't, nor to call them prigs. They gave reasons, and if the reason are valid which they clearly are, then they ought to be heeded.

This is reminiscent of don't climb on stones, don't climb Silbury. There are always those who want to discredit the messenger or the message in order to do what they'd prefer. If even a footprint can damage Blick Mead there's even less of an argument.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 09:08
carol27 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but if the owners live in a designated World Heritage Site how do they maintain governance over access & information? If Blick Mead is so highly sensitive an area, why has there been such readily available tv & other media outlets exposure ? The idiots that be have, i believe already decided on the Stonehenge tunnel. I wouldn't have submitted any of this reaction if the tone of your reply hadn't been so patronising, condescending & exclusive..you really do need to learn how to respond to people.
And yes, I know it's to do with valuable funding, necessitating the drip feeding of discovered information; & the poor landowners & their neighbours anxieties about millions of the great unwashed trampling over their patch; & the potential ruination of students thesis, not to mention valuable archaeology being ruined. That happens every day in many areas of the country. Oh dear, dont know why this has made me so mad. Just get on the telly & blather some more about this exclusive place.
Undeniably ignorant me. I await the backlash. Last post, Carol.

Plus there is no reason whatsoever why a serious researcher shouldn't seek permission to enter the site. If you don't ask you won't get! I do it all the time if a site I am researching is on private land. The media can do it so why not anyone else if the correct approach is made. Persistence will often pay off if you show your keen interest and love of our past. Ignore the haughty attitude by some as you have every right to make your own approach to the 'right people' for any site you would like to visit which appears to be out-of-bounds.
Some years ago a pal of mine said he would love to be in the centre of Stonehenge on the night of the full moon to take photographs but had no chance of getting permission. He was a real camera buff and had a plan of how he would set up his equipment. I said I would like to accompany him as it sounded fascinating so wrote a letter to EH seeking permission. I explained that we were private individuals with no connection with any weird or wonderful groups with their own agendas and simply wished to take photographs on a none commercial basis. Much to my amazement they gave us full permission and asked us to present their letter to the staff on our arrival. They looked after us as if we were their own, bringing us tea, coffee and biscuits at hourly intervals. The only downside was that we saw no full moon whatsoever as it was foggy all night. What we did have with us though were some paraffin lamps which were set-up behind some of the stones and gave off a tremendous ghostly effect. Yes, we asked and we got - not a rebuff like we were led to believe we would get! Show respect, enthusiasm and a love for our past and what it has bequeathed us and go for it!
GLADMAN
950 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 09:39
One does get the feeling, however, that Stonehenge gets all this attention, research etc precisely because it is an easy option for archaeologists?

Carol makes a fundamental point for me... who's making it their labour of love to research, investigate... PROTECT... those sites upon cold, windy hillsides in the middle of nowhere, those sites left to the whims of landowners whether they are trampled to pieces by livestock or not?

For me it is these places where the real human story of our ancestors was played out. Not a showpiece like Stonehenge where, presumably, people would have come to see and be seen... in other words adopt a false persona? But why bother when Stonehenge is such an easy commute to the office.. when you can simply jump everybody else's train?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 09:43
GLADMAN wrote:
One does get the feeling, however, that Stonehenge gets all this attention, research etc precisely because it is an easy option for archaeologists?

Carol makes a fundamental point for me... who's making it their labour of love to research, investigate... PROTECT... those sites upon cold, windy hillsides in the middle of nowhere, those sites left to the whims of landowners whether they are trampled to pieces by livestock or not?

For me it is these places where the real human story of our ancestors was played out. Not a showpiece like Stonehenge where, presumably, people would have come to see and be seen... in other words adopt a false persona? But why bother when Stonehenge is such an easy commute to the office.. when you can simply jump everybody else's train?

Spot on Gladders!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 11:33
You've said what I was going to.

No disputing what Smithone has said, but the tone as a first time poster here isn't exactly one that's going to engage anyone positively.

The real damage to our heritage is happening across the country, on farms, hills and moors, by farmers and flytippers, while the heritage bodies navel gaze and while a thousand more instantly refutable papers get written about Stonehenge.

And in the meantime the oh-so-precious World Heritage site suffers the indignity of a hugely destructive tunnel (never mind a bootprint on a Mesolithic layer) to which much of the caring archaeo community says nothing and looks the other way for fear of rocking the funding gravy boat.

I also think maybe there would be a lot more interest and understanding from the wider public if the archaeo community tried to engage rather than preach or condescend to people who are on the same side (in theory). Most of the sites we visit haven't seen an archaeologist in decades - too busy getting grants to write more pet theories about Stonehenge.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index