Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Alex Tor Cairn
Nov 04, 2017, 11:52
thelonious wrote:
Nice video. Looks a good site.

I never think of taking a video clip when at sites. Definitely something I should think about. Gives a different feel than 'just' a photo. Thanks :-)

Very much so.

I bought myself a decent bridge camera (Nikon Coolpix P510) a good while back now with really just the intention if taking stills even though it had excellent video capabilities. Was out on the moor when a small herd of ponies came jogging by one day and I took some stills and brought the video into play as well - never looked back since! To actually see something like ponies in full flight or your friends and family 'being themselves' is so much more interesting than them being just setup to have their mugshots taken. My most treasured possession is the video tape I shot with my elderly mum and dad while they were still here at my eldest sons 3rd birthday (he is 32 now). Absolutely priceless to me and with my first grandchild due in February something for her to treasure in the future to see her father as a child and his own grandparents.

I mainly use my camcorders (I have 5 now) as a 'notebook'. Rather than keep stopping and scribbling the details down on a site I am visiting or working on. I plug in the external mic and actually describe what I'm looking at in detail so that I don't forget something if making out a report later if working on a site at the time, or just for my own satisfaction.

Of course video requires movement to see it as its best, something you don't get naturally say filming stone circles, so you have to create it by keeping on the move. For serious stuff I film in silence and let the viewer take it all in without me giving a constant description and boring the pants off them :-). Recently though I have a friend who has been kind enough to overlay the film with suitable music and bird song to reflect the area on the moor it is being filmed.

Like this... https://youtu.be/zxDA7FWloTE

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index