Oct 11, 2017, 09:31
Sanctuary wrote:

Nae bither Roy.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Stonehenge Petition
Oct 12, 2017, 09:15
Well I suppose we would all agree that it is a forlorn petition and will probably not reach the 10,000 mark. Like Don Quixote he is tilting at windmills but you have to admire his tenacity.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 12, 2017, 11:29
moss wrote:
Well I suppose we would all agree that it is a forlorn petition and will probably not reach the 10,000 mark. Like Don Quixote he is tilting at windmills but you have to admire his tenacity.

I dunno about ALL moss....

We seem to be a sinking ship here on TMA with very little input these days. The other forums seem to be floundering as well.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Oct 13, 2017, 07:13
There is a glaring fault in that petition, he hasn't provided a solution or answer. The thing about TMA is that the forums could disappear quite happily, the main point is that everything else is still there. Photos, latest posts, folklore, links and news. It is after all a work in progress on old megalithic stones.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2017, 23:25
Oct 13, 2017, 22:58
Sanctuary wrote:

We seem to be a sinking ship here on TMA with very little input these days. The other forums seem to be floundering as well.

Why is that then Roy? Could it be the endless arguments by the male contributors which invariably end with someone throwing their toys out of the pram and making the big 'goodbye' statement. I admit to being somewhat disillusioned when Tiompan and Evergreen Dazed did this a while back. Well at least you've had the good grace to come back a few times - perhaps they will too.
As for the petition I may take the trouble to read it when the phrase 'pay to pray' is removed.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 14, 2017, 08:45
Both Druids and pagans stress that they don't "pray" so he's got that wrong, although pay to pray is nicely alliterative.

He's playing with fire a bit. It must have gone through Whitehall's mind that one way to release EH and NT from the inconvenient truth they're defying UNESCO is to set up some sort of overall "tunnel commission" with a mandate to put Britain First on the issue. That's what Donald would do to sidestep what's right.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 15, 2017, 09:17
nigelswift wrote:
Both Druids and pagans stress that they don't "pray" so he's got that wrong, although pay to pray is nicely alliterative.

He's playing with fire a bit. It must have gone through Whitehall's mind that one way to release EH and NT from the inconvenient truth they're defying UNESCO is to set up some sort of overall "tunnel commission" with a mandate to put Britain First on the issue. That's what Donald would do to sidestep what's right.

Perhaps I was a bit hard on him, nothing against Arthur as such - just this whole thing about the modern day druids claiming some sort of priority over everyone else where Stonehenge is concerned. I did cast my vote online btw regarding the NT AGM. Although I think EH and NT have floundered badly at SH, the NT does do a lot of good work in other areas. Just returned from a few days around the Bodmin area of Cornwall. Stopped of at Lydford Gorge on the way back. A really beautiful place, though steep and slippy in places - the NT have made it possible to see astonishing phenomena such as the Devil's Cauldron by putting discreet handrails along the rocks. Credit where due.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 15, 2017, 10:05
I too have nothing against him and some of his stances have been well justified and, better still, amusing. But he makes more noise than is justified by Druid attendances at Stonehenge solstices (not many more than 12 I believe). Not paying for access (and ergo for parking) seems a bit of a manufactured battle considering the hundreds of thousands it costs you and me to stage the shindig every year.

Ditto the NT, mostly you can't be against an organisation that says "forever, for everyone" and works towards it but all the more reason to be indignant about trail hunting and short tunnels.
thelonious
330 posts

Oct 21, 2017, 08:22
Lydford Gorge is lovely. Devil's Cauldron was a little scary for me. Felt a little trapped on the narrow walkway with the high rocks above and the deep water below. Good name for the place!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index