Memories

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
949 posts

Re: Memories
Aug 28, 2017, 20:28
Nice post Moss

I don't contribute to the Forum much nowadays. I've been told I'm a very confrontational person - by my mum, so I won't argue - so I much prefer to post images and occasional notes, letting others either be inspired or not be inspired, according to personal taste. I'm no Cope. Arguing specific, logical points in relation to what the 'meaning' of rudimentary structures of standing stones, stone/earth piles etc may be is, in my opinion, an attempt to apply modern day thinking to an age where, so it would seem to me, the line between ordinary and spiritual life was non existent. Indeed, as Mr Cope has pointed out... 'They were all on drugs'. So, unless you are, you really do not know what you are talking about.

I've been reviewing the past few years' visits today and realise that I have changed significantly from when I first started to do this. I no longer care how many orthostats a 'circle has. No longer care about the circumference, the orientation. Dimensions. I notice the type of stone, the colour, the texture, the way it feels... the way I feel at the site. The way the sun streams into the centre and leaves shadows suggestive of some other dimension. The way being there makes me think of things, of people, emotions perhaps I not really thought of... well, since I was last at a prehistoric site.

So bollocks to mathematics, to logic, to precision. Don't get me wrong. I love all three. In their place, their context. But visiting prehistoric sites is all about primitive emotion, connecting with what we once were, something that is still deep inside of us. And to do that one has to visit the sites and experience.

For me the only
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index