Rings of Stone (1979)

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Rings of Stone (1979)
Nov 23, 2017, 08:03
david gregg wrote:
Based on 'Great Stone Circles' I agree that Burl produces excellent coffee table books. However I would urge caution in accepting anything numerical he quotes.
It is also difficult to take seriously a scholar who rudely attacks the 'megalithic yard' of Professor Thom (after his death), for which there is good survey evidence, and then proposes his own metrics such as the 'Beaker Yard', the 'Cumbrian Yard', the 'Stanton Drew Yard', the ' Perth Yard', and the 'Cork Yard' apparently without any large sample statistical analyses. Burl's approach is based on an appeal to 'authority': his own opinion. Caveat emptor.

Professor D P Gregg (retired)

It would need somebody like Tiompan to advise on the numbers and the Thom stuff, I couldn't say i'm afraid, but I will say that Burl produced more than just good coffee table books!
Have you read his "Guide To.." or the huge "Stone Circle of the British Isles..", "Prehistoric Avebury" or "From Carnac to Callanish"? All superb. His "Guide To.." is one of the books that really got me into the subject and is absolutely superb, a real classic.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index