Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Re: Cairn on Bennachie
Aug 19, 2017, 14:32
thelonious wrote:
Didn't know that, interesting. It's hard to overstate the importance of Bennachie to the overall landscape and many megalithic sites round here isn't it? A wonderful hill.

Probably helps that it is smack bang in the middle of Aberdeenshire (except Laurencekirk area). It can be seen from Longmanhill Long Cairn near Banff, Forvie, Morven i.e the extremes of the Shire.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Aug 19, 2017, 16:46
drewbhoy wrote:
thelonious wrote:
Didn't know that, interesting. It's hard to overstate the importance of Bennachie to the overall landscape and many megalithic sites round here isn't it? A wonderful hill.

Probably helps that it is smack bang in the middle of Aberdeenshire (except Laurencekirk area). It can be seen from Longmanhill Long Cairn near Banff, Forvie, Morven i.e the extremes of the Shire.

Funnily enough I got a similar feeling upon Brown Willy a few weeks back. Modest hill, but dominates the area. Great cairns on that.

And don't get me started on Beinn na Cailleach.
thelonious
330 posts

Aug 19, 2017, 17:59
Love to go back to Brown Willy. Just went for such a short time and the area is so interesting. Long way away though.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Aug 19, 2017, 18:32
thelonious wrote:
Love to go back to Brown Willy. Just went for such a short time and the area is so interesting. Long way away though.

Yeah. Thought I'd pop in on Bodmin Moor on the way to Lands End. Ended up staying 5 days and throwing away the itinerary
thelonious
330 posts

Aug 19, 2017, 19:13
GLADMAN wrote:
Yeah. Thought I'd pop in on Bodmin Moor on the way to Lands End. Ended up staying 5 days and throwing away the itinerary

A normal Gladman trip then? :-)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Re: Calling Drew
Aug 22, 2017, 20:36
Photos and a DES form sent to Canmore. (I'll post some of them here as well) If you want a copy of the email T just ask.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 13:40
Bruce Mann, Aberdeen Archaeology, will add it to Aberdeenshire Council list of sites. He likes the look of it and says he will have a look in the near future.
thelonious
330 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 16:51
Good stuff Drew. Thanks for the update.

Liked your photos of the cairn by the way.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Aug 25, 2017, 17:47
thelonious wrote:
Good stuff Drew. Thanks for the update.

Liked your photos of the cairn by the way.

Thank you T. I loved the different colours on both sides of the hill especially looking up the valley from The Strone hut circles.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index