Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Aug 05, 2017, 16:04
The danger of horses
Aug 05, 2017, 12:05
We've often mentioned the dangers that cows present when crossing fields to reach sites of interest, but not too often horses/ponies, unless trekking across moorland that is.

Well yesterday, an elderly family friend and past stonehead moor tramper with me who now gets about slowly with the assistance of two sticks, was taking her new puppy out for it's first walk. She chose a well-used local field with a public footpath through it and the puppy was kept on the lead. No stock have been put in the field for years that's why it is used by the local dog walkers.

Well I was informed this morning that midway across the field she was attacked by two horses that knocked her to the ground and according to a witness was then purposely trampled all over and stamped with their front hooves.

The bottom line is that one of her arms has been severely damaged (shredded was the term used) and has other multiple injuries, all requiring surgery until 3am this morning in the main Exeter hospital.

This poor lady lives alone, has no family and only just recovered from her second knee replacement. She walks with such a stoop that she is constantly gazing at the ground. She had no chance!

The irony is that she spent the whole of her working life as a herdswoman/shepherdess/stable hand with a great understanding of all stock - but they got her in the end it would seem!

She wasn't able to escape like most of us probably would have done but please do take extra care when crossing fields whether you feel safe or not.

I'll report back when I find out more.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Re: The danger of horses
Aug 05, 2017, 18:04
Terrible stuff Roy, hope your friend recovers as quickly as possible.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 05, 2017, 19:41
What a nightmare! Am guessing the problem lay in the fact she had a young dog on a lead with her. I have never heard of horses deliberating attacking anyone before and have never felt any threat from them (unlike frisky bullocks).

I do hope your elderly friend makes a speedy recovery and is able to enjoy her new dog.
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Aug 05, 2017, 22:55
I had a very scary incident with a horse in a field by Chrome Hill once..it just took against me out of the blue, charged and reared repeatedly. Fortunately I had my camera tripod with me and extending the legs and waving it enabled me to get out of there...but I've never trusted horses since
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Aug 06, 2017, 10:05
That's dreadful, I'm sure you're right about the dog being relevant sadly.

I have only ever been threatened by a horse once, years ago, when I crossed a large sloping field and didn't realise there was a mare and foal ahead of me, and a stallion behind me, which galloped up behind me and started to rear up. Amazingly turning and facing it with a loud "woah" (seriously?) was enough to stop it, but I have been wary of horses since then.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 06, 2017, 12:48
thesweetcheat wrote:
Amazingly turning and facing it with a loud "woah" (seriously?) was enough to stop it, but I have been wary of horses since then.

lol, classic.
I remember visiting Cholesbury years ago and there was a horse and foal in the interior. I started walking over to the foal to give it a pat on the head and saw the mare start running toward me. Luckily she was a little distance off and I was near the gate, but I don't think that would have ended well for me if I hadn't seen her.

Not monument related but one time in the lake district we were staying in a cottage just outside hawkshead. One morning I walked into the village through a field of sheep who completely ignored me, but on my way back, carrying bags of shopping, they all started following me. I felt like the pied piper.

For the record, I would just like to state that I was totally unconcerned by 30 sheep following me just a couple of feet away, with their weird eyes and strange curly horns. My heart did not start beating faster and nor did my pace quicken. Nor did I think about throwing the shopping at them and running away screaming like a little girl. Nor, once safely ensconced back at the cottage, did I recount the tale to my girlfriend as if I had just survived an encounter with a pack of lions.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 06, 2017, 13:14
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Not monument related but one time in the lake district we were staying in a cottage just outside hawkshead. One morning I walked into the village through a field of sheep who completely ignored me, but on my way back, carrying bags of shopping, they all started following me. I felt like the pied piper.

You were , they thought it was feed .
To get rid of sheep whistle as if calling a dog , to attract them , even the bonniest and most aloof , shake a poly bag (Elmore James knew this ). They'll come running .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2017, 13:40
Aug 06, 2017, 13:40
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

You were , they thought it was feed .
To get rid of sheep whistle as if calling a dog , to attract them , even the bonniest and most aloof , shake a poly bag (Elmore James knew this ). They'll come running .

Yeah, I twigged it was the bags but there was no way I was giving up my biscuits.
Didn't know about the whistle! I'll remember that.

Never mind elmore james, i've been learning a few Jansch songs that i've not got round to before.
'Peregrinations' is a great one, few tricky bits but not too bad. 'Blues run the game' (jackson c frank) another great one, sounds simple but it's deceptive, it's really all about the right hand. But it's 'Chambertin' that is the absolute f*cker, pardon my gaelic.
I have been playing bits and pieces of it for years while practising but sitting down and learning the whole thing is a different matter. I'm getting there though. Have you ever tried it?
There is a great tab on-line from renbournfingerstyle.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 06, 2017, 15:11
Great to hear a bit of Bert , that I haven't heard it before .
Is the tab the one done by Mike Walker ?
If so , Gordon Giltrap does the c as a pull on the b string , a close listen is called for , maybe Bert does both .

Well impressed with this bloke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIGLpK9aQI , anybody that gets close to Toumani on a kora is doing well but ....

Elmore is superficially simple too , only Earl Hooker got close for me .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 06, 2017, 16:04
tiompan wrote:
Great to hear a bit of Bert , that I haven't heard it before .
Is the tab the one done by Mike Walker ?
If so , Gordon Giltrap does the c as a pull on the b string , a close listen is called for , maybe Bert does both .

Well impressed with this bloke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIGLpK9aQI , anybody that gets close to Toumani on a kora is doing well but ....

Elmore is superficially simple too , only Earl Hooker got close for me .

Yes, Mike Walker, thats the one. He's done a brilliant job with that.

I do have a bit of a chuckle about Giltrap, he seems a really genuine and lovely person, with a real love for Berts stuff, that track in particular, and they were good friends I believe, but that live clip on youtube of him doing it is perhaps not his finest moment.
He plays the C on the B as you say, but I don't think that sounds right, i'm pretty sure Bert played the C on G, it lets the B string ring out open for longer. I've always played that part with the C on the G and the tab says it's that too, it just feels and sounds right to me.

All of the most difficult parts in that track come in the first half, the most difficult as far as i'm concerned is the section which moves up to the E on the A string, and then a little later the very quick run back down. After those bits are out of the way it's still challenging but you feel less like you are going to have some sort of seizure trying to get it right.

Yes, very impressive stuff on that video. Incredibly clean, precise, not something I excel at playing with just tips rather than nails/picks.

Never really heard much elmore, I will have a listen.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index