Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: 'Square' circle discovered at Avebury
Jun 30, 2017, 09:10
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:
If the world of archaeology really want to finish Keiller's work, one day they will have to start excavating. I seem to recall the argument against is to protect the archaeology for posterity. Fair enough.

`Well sampling only, to leave most for posterity, makes sense. But how time flies, it was 2004 when Mike's proposal was discussed here http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/tma/topic/19303/flat/

Pete G reckoned the NT was spooked by talk here that lots of stones, not just one, should be re-erected. I doubt that, but just the one would have been nice.

I think the authorities have less problem with exposing and more with re-erecting, (hence Beck Ave) on the grounds no-one can be sure if it could be done accurately. On that basis they probably don't want to complete Keiller's work.

Thanks for the link Nigel, I do recall it now. The same applies today I guess though I have to say, in the pursuit of generating as much income as possible, the National Trust seem to operate on double standards out at Avebury. I'm happy to let sleeping stones lie if it means access to Avebury remains free and open to all (especially to those who visit by bus and don't have to avail themselves of the NT carpark).

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index