'Square' circle discovered at Avebury

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CARL
511 posts

'Square' circle discovered at Avebury
Jun 29, 2017, 12:27
Just seen this on the BBC -

An ancient formation discovered within a Neolithic stone circle in Wiltshire is actually a square.

The "surprising find" in Avebury, which is 30m (98ft) wide, is thought to be one of the site's earliest structures.

The square of megaliths appears to have been erected around the remains of a Neolithic house, which sat at the centre of the colossal stone circle - the largest in Europe.

Archaeologists have hailed the discovery "unheard of".

Dr Mark Gillings, from the University of Leicester, said in their "wildest dreams" they had not been expecting to find what he has described as a "stone square circle".

The discovery comes 80 years after the archaeologist and marmalade magnate, Alexander Keiller, discovered a line of standing stones near the 6m (19ft) upright stone known as the obelisk.
The vast 330m (1,082ft) wide stone circle of Avebury was built between about 2850 BC and 2200 BC.

Containing three stone circles and boasting 100 huge standing stones originally, it has been the subject of considerable archaeological interest since the 17th century.

The discovery of previously unknown megaliths inside the monument has been greeted as a "great surprise".
We have detected and mapped a series of prehistoric standing stones that were subsequently hidden and buried," Dr Gillings said.

"Together, these reveal a striking and apparently unique square megalithic monument within the Avebury circles that has the potential to be one of the very earliest structures on this remarkable site."

Dr Joshua Pollard, from the University of Southampton, said their geophysical survey had "finally completed" Keiller's work.

Avebury ancestral home?

"It has shown the line of stones he identified was one side of a square of megaliths about 30m across and enclosing the obelisk," he said.

"Megalithic circles are well known from the time when Avebury was built, but square megalithic settings of this scale and complexity are unheard of."

The archaeologists think the stone square might commemorate and monumentalise the "ancestral house of the first people who lived in Avebury".

If proved correct, it may help to explain why the Avebury monument complex was built.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: 'Square' circle discovered at Avebury
Jun 29, 2017, 13:13
http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/archaeology/people/academics/gillings/documents/avebury-obelisk-report-2017
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 29, 2017, 20:17
A bit of of a puzzle. I guess the question no one is willing to ask is "will they be uncovered". Bearing in mind the stones that remain buried on Beckhampton Avenue, I'd place a bet on the answer being NO!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 29, 2017, 20:25
A few years ago Mike Pitts wanted to excavate a single stone, as a communal exercise. He spent many months on the application process and evenrtually drowned in the bureaucracy..
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 29, 2017, 20:33
nigelswift wrote:
A few years ago Mike Pitts wanted to excavate a single stone, as a communal exercise. He spent many months on the application process and evenrtually drowned in the bureaucracy..

If the world of archaeology really want to finish Keiller's work, one day they will have to start excavating. I seem to recall the argument against is to protect the archaeology for posterity. Fair enough.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 29, 2017, 20:57
tjj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

If the world of archaeology really want to finish Keiller's work, one day they will have to start excavating. I seem to recall the argument against is to protect the archaeology for posterity. Fair enough.

Well they have just re-erected 7 fallen standing stones at the Stripple Stones henged circle including one that was completely buried and excavated by my little team and others just level with the surface. Not Avebury I know, but just as important down here in Cornwall and the methodology is just the same.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 05:48
tjj wrote:

`Well sampling only, to leave most for posterity, makes sense. But how time flies, it was 2004 when Mike's proposal was discussed here http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/tma/topic/19303/flat/

Pete G reckoned the NT was spooked by talk here that lots of stones, not just one, should be re-erected. I doubt that, but just the one would have been nice.

I think the authorities have less problem with exposing and more with re-erecting, (hence Beck Ave) on the grounds no-one can be sure if it could be done accurately. On that basis they probably don't want to complete Keiller's work.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 09:10
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:

`Well sampling only, to leave most for posterity, makes sense. But how time flies, it was 2004 when Mike's proposal was discussed here http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/tma/topic/19303/flat/

Pete G reckoned the NT was spooked by talk here that lots of stones, not just one, should be re-erected. I doubt that, but just the one would have been nice.

I think the authorities have less problem with exposing and more with re-erecting, (hence Beck Ave) on the grounds no-one can be sure if it could be done accurately. On that basis they probably don't want to complete Keiller's work.

Thanks for the link Nigel, I do recall it now. The same applies today I guess though I have to say, in the pursuit of generating as much income as possible, the National Trust seem to operate on double standards out at Avebury. I'm happy to let sleeping stones lie if it means access to Avebury remains free and open to all (especially to those who visit by bus and don't have to avail themselves of the NT carpark).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 09:19
On the subject of money and power hungry quangos, guess who has just bought the Chapel?!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 09:50
nigelswift wrote:
On the subject of money and power hungry quangos, guess who has just bought the Chapel?!

Yes I know. While inviting people to go out there next Wednesday to give their views on its use, it appears the NT have already decided on its use.

https://swindonlink.com/national-trust-acquires-much-loved-avebury-chapel/

Personally I would like to see it used for something 'quiet' (not drumming and dancing sessions as friend suggested) but meditation and/or yoga. Followed by a stroll in the ancient landscape. Wouldn't mind paying for that.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index