17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: 'Sight Unseen'
Jun 26, 2017, 10:46
tjj wrote:
I'm in a reading group which often challenges me to read something I wouldn't otherwise pick up. The current book is anything by Robert Goddard - I chose 'Sight Unseen' which starts "It begins at Avebury ..." How could I resist.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-440-24280-2

What bothers me though, is that while the author gets all the other details about Avebury correct (the Red Lion, Green Street, Silbury House) he refers to the Cove stones as the Adam and Eve stones. What takes place by these stones is integral to the plot. How can I let this little mistake undermine the rest of the novel - but somehow it does. Does this make me an anorak?

About a mile outside the main circle of the henge and on the line of the Beckhampton Avenue stand two large stones. With some interesting lichens adorning their surface they are known as the Longstones (also known locally as"Adam & Eve"). The larger of them, according to a drawing made by William Stukeley, is the surviving component of a cove similar in structure to that in the north circle of the henge; the other belongs to the avenue. Recent excavations have confirmed the existence of this cove.
(Avebury - A Present from the Past)

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index