The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Detectorists

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Detectorists Petition
Feb 03, 2018, 09:28
Well, as as Prof David Gill has asked: "by how much it would have to be "wrong" to make the figures acceptable."

I think everyone here knows you won't answer that, and why.

Watch, everyone....
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 03, 2018, 10:24
nigelswift wrote:
Well, as as Prof David Gill has asked: "by how much it would have to be "wrong" to make the figures acceptable."

Watch, everyone....

Why not? Did I not make a valid point and you are using other peoples statistics to create a false claim.

Get real Nigel - NOBODY can realistically come up with a figure at all unless EVERY find is observed. Come back and tell us when they are okay.

I don't think I need to say any more now following this. We agree on the thieving being wrong, just at odds over the actual amount.

Now where's that threepenny bit - I must clean it up and put it on Ebay :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 03, 2018, 10:30
"Well, as as Prof David Gill has asked: "by how much it would have to be "wrong" to make the figures acceptable."

Watch, everyone...."

QED.
carol27
747 posts

Feb 05, 2018, 19:47
carol27 wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Oh no! A friend has just discovered Detectorists and said I'd like it "as the characters are very like you lot who go to stone circles".....

Id see that as a compliment.. leastways id tell " friend" that..:)

I meant the going to stone circles bit as I'm sure you know...phew.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 05, 2018, 21:10
Yes of course!
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Feb 06, 2018, 11:33
Wow - you two really could start an argument in an empty room!!!

I'll try to answer the question "by how much it would have to be "wrong" to make the figures acceptable.", if I may?

Unless they're out by 100% it implies the action is still taking place and - as we've all agreed - the action is 'unacceptable. So your answer there is 100%.

HOWEVER Roy hasn't ever said the action is 'acceptable' and has only suggested that the projected number may be "grossly exaggerated".

(Plucking a number from thin air) I'd suggest that is the number is out by 25% or more that may constitute 'grossly exaggerated' - feel free to bicker over this though as it's only one view!!!!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 06, 2018, 11:51
"Grossly exaggerated" by detectorists, prominent professional bodies and U of London academics, eh? I wonder why?

Anyway, if we accept your idea they are 25% exaggerated we can also agree with your idea they are unacceptable.

Thanks for the clarification at last! ;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 06, 2018, 15:42
Locodogz wrote:
Wow - you two really could start an argument in an empty room!!!

I'll try to answer the question "by how much it would have to be "wrong" to make the figures acceptable.", if I may?

Unless they're out by 100% it implies the action is still taking place and - as we've all agreed - the action is 'unacceptable. So your answer there is 100%.

HOWEVER Roy hasn't ever said the action is 'acceptable' and has only suggested that the projected number may be "grossly exaggerated".

(Plucking a number from thin air) I'd suggest that is the number is out by 25% or more that may constitute 'grossly exaggerated' - feel free to bicker over this though as it's only one view!!!!

Hi Locodogz

ANY amount of theft of our heritage is unacceptable to me whether it be one single item or Nigel's cupboard full.

If Joe Bloggs and his mates were to come up with the figures Nigel's 'experts' come up with, they would be asked how they came up with the figures they did? Unless every single detectorist was observed lifting the goodies and doing a runner, they would be laughed out of the room coming up with any % at all as it would be total guesswork. Am I the only person who can see that?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 06, 2018, 16:31
You are the only person that can't see the detectorists' survey, CBA/EH's survey and David Connolly's (archeo) survey show how many recordable finds are found per active detectorist and that this, applied to how many artefacts PAS are actually shown proves there's a massive number going "missing".

There's nothing fantastical or exaggerated about that and it's not me that has come up with ANY of the figures.

But if the figures don't suit you, fine.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Detectorists
Feb 20, 2018, 13:20
I enjoyed this Tube review of Detectorists as it was an off-the-cuff effort by an American who sort of stumbled his way through it, but with genuine love of the programme.
Coincidentally, I have many friends in the States who are now watching it on Netflex and adoring it for it's 'Britishness'.

https://youtu.be/Cb8tE2toVxE

Somehow, by hook or by crook, they must find their way back to the field where the Saxon boat burial lies, to go full circle - as that was the original quest and it should end there IMO!
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index