The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Detectorists

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Detectorists
May 17, 2017, 13:55
Very many thanks June. I intended not to rise, then did, and our posts crossed. A combination of what both you and I said adds up to a strong and clear case. There's really no valid room for anyone to say "yes but...." :)
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Detectorists - contentious issues
May 17, 2017, 21:16
Contentious issues with Detectorists include those parts which highlighted the haphazard and highly disrespectful manner in which Saxons disposed of their unwanted gold. It made things really difficult for Detectorists like MacKenzie Crook and Toby Jones. Took two full series to find it. Though they did find the Danebury Mayor's Chain of Office which he'd lost when he was out for some recreational dogging opportunities.

Contentious issues with The Apprentice which has affected the manner in which thousands of crap middle managers now feel entitled to treat their staff because they "learned it from Lord Sugar".

Contentious issues with Bucket, its approach to female masturbation & linking it to "checking for squirrels". Squirrels! The horror. However, the "who's spunking the Batcave?" line did mean Miss Margoyles lost my disrespect almost immediately. Very little History or artefacts in this programme despite the fact they drove through a lot of countryside in it.

Contentious issues with Time Team and its treatment of ancient artefacts Couldn't they leave stuff alone? What was with the digging stuff up all the time? Every week... TV treasure hunters but not fictional like Detectorists.

Contentious issues with Tomorrows World as a lot of stuff they said we'd get (like hover scooters) which we haven't got. Very little about History or historical artefacts in this programme which as its title suggests was almost exclusively about the Future (or the programme makers Present which was the 1970's - amusingly now nearly 50 years in the past).

Has anyone else got issues which are contentious about TV programmes? Doesn't matter how big or small your Contention Bone is... tell us about it here.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 18, 2017, 14:31
May 17, 2017, 22:03
Howburn Digger wrote:

Has anyone else got issues which are contentious about TV programmes? Doesn't matter how big or small your Contention Bone is... tell us about it here.

What is the point of your post exactly. That you watch a lot of telly or that you particularly like using the word contentious, which you used at least six times in your post. Definition of 'contentious' - causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial. Which is what the subject of metal detectorists is on this forum. A forum which is after all about archaeology, antiquities and ancient sites - not television in general. Anyone who cares about the aforementioned will feel some uneasiness to see metal detectors used to promote 'treasure hunting' on any tv format, albeit the Detectorists is humorous and generally inoffensive.

PS: It was me who used the word 'contentious', once, in my previous post. I don't think Nigel used it at all.

(Slightly edited for late night typos)
moss
moss
2897 posts

May 18, 2017, 14:45
Well the only contentious issue is with the use of repeats, especially within the archaeological portion, Time Team is on practically every day, and why 3 days when a good dig reveals so much more.
But when it comes to giggling at megalithic heroes, I totally admire the duo Michael Botts and Rupert Soskins, their Standing with Stones dvd was a pure labour of love and the one that makes me laugh is the 'Blooper' one the rest are perfect...

When did the world become so serious as to get upset about comedy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4vLeRtQkG4&list=PL383D32A611C2E70B&index=8
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 18, 2017, 15:01
moss wrote:

Sigh! I think you will see that both myself and Nigel (and no, we are not a double act) both said we enjoyed it. Speaking for myself, I will be watching the next series. It was inevitable, however, that some comments would be made here about the ethics of metal detectoring. That doesn't mean people making those comments have had a humour by-pass - whichever way you slant it.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 18, 2017, 15:11
I wonder June, if there was an hilarious comedy about fox hunting, full of fun characters and gorgeous scenery, would we be criticised for saying we loved it except for the contentious bit? ;)
moss
moss
2897 posts

May 18, 2017, 17:04
tjj wrote:
moss wrote:

Sigh! I think you will see that both myself and Nigel (and no, we are not a double act) both said we enjoyed it. Speaking for myself, I will be watching the next series. It was inevitable, however, that some comments would be made here about the ethics of metal detectoring. That doesn't mean people making those comments have had a humour by-pass - whichever way you slant it.

Nope it is the attitude and the way you read. I wasn't addressing either of you, just trying to find a lighter note!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 05, 2017, 12:44
Sanctuary wrote:
Best news of the week.....

A third series of the brilliant Detectorist is being filmed this summer! Can't wait.
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2518/detectorists_series_3/

Watched the full second series last night. I just love Larry the farmer with the 'invisible' dogs. Great character and actor.

Talking of which - part 4 of series 1 is on BBC2 tonight at 10pm.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Detectorists
Oct 31, 2017, 17:04
At last...

Detectorists series three starts on Wednesday, 8 November at 10pm on BBC4.

YABBA DABBA DOO!!!
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 13, 2017, 13:03
Well it is coming to an end, so a rather lovely article by Fiona Sturges in the Guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/09/detectorists-rich-portrait-unremarkable-lives-gone-slightly-awry-mackenzie-crook

Thought the magpies did not too bad in the acting scenes so the Unthank - Magpies, to end the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=w6EIFD80f90
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index