Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2017, 23:57
Re: Neolithic women
Mar 06, 2017, 23:54
carol27 wrote:

Yes thankyou everyone, but what I'm wondering about is why, do we think, that subjugation was deemed necessary. Why, do we think that the concept of , virgin, whore, witch as tjj so succinctly put it became a concept, "going forward":) Yes, a nauseating phrase I know:) but, you know modern parlence & all that.

I don't think anything became a concept. Perhaps as a species we are tribal, suggestible and basically pack animals. As pack animals we need scapegoats, someone to blame when things go wrong. In by-gone centuries many women were murdered as witches for being outside of the pack (different). Women generally are physically weaker and less powerful than men as when they become mothers all their energy goes into protecting their children. So it was then and probably still is. The 'concept' of Mother seems always to have been held in high esteem e.g. Mother Earth. There seems to be a lot of oral history and folklore to suggest the Christian 'virgin Mary' was superimposed onto older female, mother deities.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index