Brown Willy for sale

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Brown Willy for sale
Sep 11, 2016, 08:54
Or at least the land upon which it stands, Cornwall seems a problematic place with the moors privately owned and periodically sold off.

Brown Willy - one of the twin peaks that mark Cornwall's highest point on Bodmin Moor - is on the market for a cool £2.8 million.

Read more at........

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/brown-willy-in-cornwall-is-for-sale/story-29703632-detail/story.html#T5GkUBSdXqJM3tm2.99
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Re: Brown Willy for sale
Sep 11, 2016, 11:16
Charlieboy should buy it and give it to the nation. He's got enough...
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 15:56
Seems it's now sold: http://www.cornwalllive.com/cornwall-s-highest-point-brown-willy-on-bodmin-moor-has-been-sold-for-millions-of-pounds/story-30266454-detail/story.html
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 16:46
ocifant wrote:

It's a shame really as I got to know Mark the farm manager quite well when we were working on Louden stone circle. I had to get his permission to drive on the private track which started from the Middle Moor Cross area to the farm, passing both Louden and Fernacre circles along the way. At the time he told me that the farm was owned by a guy in New Zealand who hardly ever put an appearance in!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 20:45
ocifant wrote:

I've never actually seen Brown Willy - Edward Thomas mentions it in his book The South Country "Nothing can soften the lines of Trendreen or Brown Willy or Carn Galver against the sky. The small stone-hedged ploughland amidst brake and gorse do but accentuate the wildness of the land from which they have been won." Is it somewhere walkers have access to as with Blencathra and if so, Rights of Way will continue surely. The idea of anyone buying a mountain or hill just seems so perverse, however much money they paid. At best they can only be custodians.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Apr 12, 2017, 21:46
tjj wrote:
ocifant wrote:

I've never actually seen Brown Willy - Edward Thomas mentions it in his book The South Country "Nothing can soften the lines of Trendreen or Brown Willy or Carn Galver against the sky. The small stone-hedged ploughland amidst brake and gorse do but accentuate the wildness of the land from which they have been won." Is it somewhere walkers have access to as with Blencathra and if so, Rights of Way will continue surely. The idea of anyone buying a mountain or hill just seems so perverse, however much money they paid. At best they can only be custodians.

Nice descriptive writing.

Yes, access is protected under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, the whole of this part of the moor (including the stone circles below Brown Willy and Rowtor) is designated as access land.

I believe that pre-CROW, access to parts of Bodmin Moor was not so straightforward.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 13, 2017, 12:05
"Around its summit are naturally occurring piles of granite boulders, the most famous of which is known as The Cheesewring."

Bet the new owner will be upset that he hasn't bought the Cheesewring! which should reside on Stowe Pound unless it moved one night... The sad fact is that this land has probably been sold to another overseas owner, an asset for the money market.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Apr 13, 2017, 23:18
tjj wrote:
The idea of anyone buying a mountain or hill just seems so perverse, however much money they paid. At best they can only be custodians.

Mountain, hill, patch of land, all the future fish in a river (?), the seabed, mineral rights to stuff under the turf which is unknown... strange racketeering.

I actually own the largest seashell collection in the world, but due to storage capacity problems at Howburn Towers, I keep my collection scattered across most of the beaches around the world.
The Heritage Trust
23 posts

Apr 14, 2017, 10:25
View of Bronn Wennili (Brown Willy) by Sanctuary
here, along with last year’s press release on the Leskernick Stone Circles and Stone Row Clearance by him and his TimeSeekers team.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Apr 14, 2017, 11:53
Almost all of Bodmin Moor is in private hands, apart from Rough Tor which belongs to the National Trust. Fernacre Farm, to which Brown Willy belongs, is one of the largest farms on the moor (although you wont find it named on the OS maps!) and is surrounded by green fields. I don't suppose the new owner will change anything regarding the wilder parts of the estate. There is open access to Brown Willy, Rough Tor, Garrow Tor and most of the land surrounding the farm. Don't Panic!!!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index