Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: John Michell lecture
May 03, 2016, 19:51
Rhiannon wrote:

http://www.bigissue.com/features/4788/fortean-times-editor-david-sutton-aliens-vs-fairies
Sort of a different kettle of fish to drawing lines on maps and juggling numbers about. I won't have you dissing the fairies.
Anyway if fairies or leylines or indeed tma-style expeditions get people out to appreciate the countryside then it can't be a bad thing.

Something happened today that was a bit strange. I was out walking in the Slad Valley near Stroud - going through some woodland I came across a little 'fairy house' someone had set up at the base of a tree - a miniature table (laid for dinner) and chair, a miniature clothes line and ladder in the 'garden'. A good friend called Cathy came to mind as we had seen the same little fairy house over a year ago while out walking with her (her parents live nearby). Oddly she phoned me a few minutes later for the first time in several months. Odder still, when I uploaded my photos onto my laptop (just now) the 'fairy house' had disappeared even though I took at least three photos.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 03, 2016, 19:59
"Cider with Cathie " ?
carol27
747 posts

May 03, 2016, 20:06
tjj wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

http://www.bigissue.com/features/4788/fortean-times-editor-david-sutton-aliens-vs-fairies
Sort of a different kettle of fish to drawing lines on maps and juggling numbers about. I won't have you dissing the fairies.
Anyway if fairies or leylines or indeed tma-style expeditions get people out to appreciate the countryside then it can't be a bad thing.

Something happened today that was a bit strange. I was out walking in the Slad Valley near Stroud - going through some woodland I came across a little 'fairy house' someone had set up at the base of a tree - a miniature table (laid for dinner) and chair, a miniature clothes line and ladder in the 'garden'. A good friend called Cathy came to mind as we had seen the same little fairy house over a year ago while out walking with her (her parents live nearby). Oddly she phoned me a few minutes later for the first time in several months. Odder still, when I uploaded my photos onto my laptop (just now) the 'fairy house' had disappeared even though I took at least three photos.

Ah, see, I like that story.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 03, 2016, 20:27
carol27 wrote:
tjj wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

I'm going to have to spoil it a bit - just checked the memory card and there is still one photo of the 'fairy house' there but for some reason it didn't upload with the others. Very spooky about my friend ringing at that time though :)
carol27
747 posts

Edited May 03, 2016, 21:06
May 03, 2016, 21:05
tjj wrote:
carol27 wrote:
tjj wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

I'm going to have to spoil it a bit - just checked the memory card and there is still one photo of the 'fairy house' there but for some reason it didn't upload with the others. Very spooky about my friend ringing at that time though :)

It is strange - synchronicity. Or Acausal Connecting Principle - Carl Jung ( so chapface tells me) :)
I'd like to see a fairy house.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 03, 2016, 21:07
dee wrote:

I am just the messenger here Dee as I've never read his work, but I sent the clip onto a pal. He was grateful and replied...

'John actually was a visionary, who did so, so much original research,
he more or less founded the "New Age" with his " View over Atlantis",
but his "Old Stones at Lands End" was groundbreaking and authentic.
Nobody had done anything like that before.
Genuine, shoeleather research...he found all those stones.
Came down to Penwith, and found them, and made sense out of them.
Show me an Archaeologist that would have done that,
most of them, if they walk from the car to their Computer, they`re puffed.
There are, thankfully, exceptions, but they are getting fewer and fewer in number.

Of course, he is the inspiration behind "Megalithomania".
He was a brilliant mathematician. I have books of his, I still don`t understand. But one day, I will.
John was ahead of his time, and time has to catch up'.

As I said, these are not my thoughts as I have not read up on it or followed his work and not joining in any discussions or backing any side as I'm not qualified.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 03, 2016, 22:55
[quote="Sanctuary"]

" I sent the clip onto a pal. He was grateful and replied... "

Maybe you could pass on some responses .

'John actually was a visionary, who did so, so much original research,
he more or less founded the "New Age" with his " View over Atlantis", "

True , but like most "new age stuff it's fantasy .

" but his "Old Stones at Lands End" was groundbreaking and authentic.
Nobody had done anything like that before. "

Never hear of Borlase , Lukis ,Pool , Blight etc and the splendid Vivien Russel ?

"Genuine, shoeleather research...he found all those stones."
His description of the area as "a few square miles " is fitting .
What he covered was a fraction of what Ms Russel did .
he didn't find "all these stones , see the others for the majority of them .

"Came down to Penwith, and found them, and made sense out of them."

Created a fantasy around them ,see the Bob Forrest link for the problems .
"Show me an Archaeologist that would have done that,"
As for shoeleather ,see above ,as for fantasy ,there's a few of them too .

"Of course, he is the inspiration behind "Megalithomania". "

He had a sense of humour and the laughs continue there .

"He was a brilliant mathematician."
No, he wasn't .
cerrig
187 posts

May 04, 2016, 13:13
Same old stuff George, isn't it. Anything that strays from nice safe "history" is fantasy to you. Nothing new there. The problem with that is it doesn't answer the question "what was going on", and it never will. It can't, and you can't either. Too much reliance on the accepted model of history to allow for the likes of John Michell.
The current models of history and mathematics don't account for Johns insights, but that's because they are limited and incomplete. That's where your stance breaks down, and Johns continues. He had the vision to see past those limitations and share his observations. He never pretended to be perfect, just willing to be a bit different.
John added something to that incomplete picture, and thanks to his groundbreaking work another piece of the puzzle is much clearer than it would have been otherwise. This is something that would never have been achieved by the kind of attitudes seen on this thread, but then again when did ridicule and ignorance ever achieve anything.

You will have your chance to spread some more bile on some original and very different research quite soon, if you can. I look forward to that with some curiosity. It will be interesting to see what is dragged up to try and stamp on what's coming. I'm sure the attempt will be made. Best of luck with that.

Nigel Swift; not talking about you, for one simple reason, why would I ?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 04, 2016, 13:39
[quote="cerrig"]"Same old stuff George, isn't it. Anything that strays from nice safe "history" is fantasy to you."

Same old stuff Cerrig , when the fantasies get inverstigated they prove wanting.That's why they are fantasies .

"Nothing new there. The problem with that is it doesn't answer the question "what was going on", and it never will. "

Why accept fantasies simply because you don't have an answer ? We have a better idea of "what was going on " today than we did a century ago and we will know more in the next century , when the new age nonsense will be long forgotten .

"It can't, and you can't either. Too much reliance on the accepted model of history to allow for the likes of John Michell. "
The ley line , alignment and other new age stuff has been shown to be wrong on many levels ,a long toime ago why are you still buying it ?

" The current models of history and mathematics don't account for Johns insights, but that's because they are limited and incomplete. "

You have no conception of how ridiculous that comment is .

" That's where your stance breaks down, and Johns continues. He had the vision to see past those limitations and share his observations. He never pretended to be perfect, just willing to be a bit different."

My stance is simpe ,if a particular theory is shown to be wrong , move on .
Different can be fine , wrong is not so good .

"John added something to that incomplete picture, and thanks to his groundbreaking work another piece of the puzzle is much clearer than it would have been otherwise. This is something that would never have been achieved by the kind of attitudes seen on this thread, but then again when did ridicule and ignorance ever achieve anything."

The ignorance belongs to those who fail to read and understand the problems with thenonsense . Pointing out errors is not ridiculing or denigrating or bilious although many of the new age beliefs are ridculous .

Instead of whining all the time why not come with something tangible ,( like the ley lines nonsense that has been refuted for decades ) that can acrtually be discussed
I see that you didn't respond to the clarification of your misunderstanding about "his canon ,or the problems that a real mathematicain had with his "visionary " take on it .
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 04, 2016, 17:30
cerrig wrote:
Nigel Swift; not talking about you, for one simple reason, why would I ?

The fact you've taken the trouble to insult me a second time discredits your first denial! Yet what have I ever done to you except say I think the leyline energy stuff is bollocks?
But once again, hook noted but not taken. Have a nice evening. It's beautifully sunny here.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index