John Michell lecture

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: John Michell lecture
May 01, 2016, 23:13
Bob was a chum and a mathematician and gives a first hand insight into the Michell’s numerical methodology , others have reiterated it ,and that’s the chums .
Most would say that his main contribution was related to “earth mysteries “ , ley lines , “flying saucers “ etc , as in the first link in this thread .
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 02, 2016, 08:38
What is the nature of a "contribution" to ley lines? Can one make a contribution to goblins?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 02, 2016, 08:53
nigelswift wrote:
What is the nature of a "contribution" to ley lines? Can one make a contribution to goblins?

I find they gladly receive contributions of digestives .
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 02, 2016, 09:25
That's what you "find" then is it George? So would it be impolite of me to request you show the ladies and gentlemen a genuine photograph of a goblin eating a biscuit?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 02, 2016, 09:39
They are averse to being photographed . Those who have tried discover that their camera batteries mysteriously drain .
However there is a pic in John Michell's "Flying Saucer Vision " that has been described as an alien but looks more like a goblin to me .
Rhiannon
5290 posts

May 02, 2016, 10:15
well you might be taking the piss, but there's much discussion that aliens are just the latest manifestation of fairies (I mean the stories, they serve the same sorts of purpose) - all that abduction business, and timeslips and strange lights are actually rather similar.
http://www.bigissue.com/features/4788/fortean-times-editor-david-sutton-aliens-vs-fairies
Sort of a different kettle of fish to drawing lines on maps and juggling numbers about. I won't have you dissing the fairies.
Anyway if fairies or leylines or indeed tma-style expeditions get people out to appreciate the countryside then it can't be a bad thing.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 02, 2016, 10:27
Unless of course it involves saying scientists and archaeologists are all closed minded (or worse).
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 02, 2016, 10:53
The fairies alien possible connection was noted by Jaques Vallee in the late 60's .
People imagine and like to believe all sorts , is that not the common denominator ?

If getting out in the countryside is considered to be positive ,the motives need not be , and the two shouldn't be conflated .Fox hunting and badger baiting not to mention dodgy political movements associated with the great outdoors come to mind .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 02, 2016, 10:55
nigelswift wrote:
Unless of course it involves saying scientists and archaeologists are all closed minded (or worse).

Isn't failing to consider the evidence being closed minded and thinking within the box ?
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

May 02, 2016, 10:59
10 times my age
One tenth my height
https://youtu.be/WJhEePZh7jY
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index