Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.

Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.
Jul 31, 2013, 10:16
Astralcat wrote:
This is one example of many. When I was researching the subject I was amazed at how many 'anomalies' are suppressed:

http://pleistocenecoalition.com/steen-mcintyre/Nexus_article.pdf

Can't see anything in that article about Glastonbury being a chakra, or any evidence relating to what the druids believed.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2013, 10:34
Jul 31, 2013, 10:33
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
This is one example of many. When I was researching the subject I was amazed at how many 'anomalies' are suppressed:

Can't see anything in that article about Glastonbury being a chakra, or any evidence relating to what the druids believed.

That's because I was referring to suppressed archeology, and not Glastonbury and the Druids. That subject is well documented in itself, and much is known about Druid law as it part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 10:39
Astralcat wrote:
I absolutely agree, and this knowledge most likely came from a previous lost culture eg. 'Atalantis'. Plato was not a gullible man, and Vedic thought refers to the vast antiquity of human culture beyond what our current paradigm asserts.

Glastonbury IS a chakra!

Namaste _/\_

Hello Astralcat, always good to see you here.
A week or so ago I made a spontaneous trip to Glastonbury courtesy of my very down-to-earth friend with a car. I have to say that it was the highlight of my summer - as it always is. An uncomfortably hot day, I had doubts about walking up the tor. We approached from Wearyall Hill and the first thing I encountered, which oddly I hadn't noticed before, was the Avalon Orchard at the bottom of the tor. A very peaceful place to stop for a bit before walking up the tor. Already starting to transcend the hot humid day, I almost flew up the tor into the warm wind and amazing views.

Then spent some time in the Chalice Well Garden where I placed my hot feet in the cooling waters of the 'healing pool'. My whole being was instantly refreshed and energised. From the peace of the garden we could hear laughing and jollity - I took a little peak over the fence to see a group of scantily clad 'old hippies' splashing about in the waters of the White Spring which flow into the lane and into the old Victorian Reservoir building the other side of the fence. It was like glimpsing another world ...

It was a wonderful few hours, a spiritual tonic - as ever I came away feeling renewed.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 10:48
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

That's because I was referring to suppressed archeology, and not Glastonbury and the Druids. That subject is well documented in itself, and much is known about Druid law as it part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system.

I'm pretty sure you said "Glastonbury IS a chakra" ;)

Nothing is known about druidic lore. Anything we surmise is entirely speculative. It's very easy to make grandiose statements like "... it part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system", but much harder to back up such statements with old-fashioned things like facts and evidence.

Seeing as the druids left NO WRITTEN RECORDS, it's rather hard to see what your source for this assertion would be. Other than speculation, of course. Not that I have any problem with speculation. If you want to say "druidic lore COULD POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system", then hey, go right ahead. State it as fact, and you're no different to any other religious zealot passing off personal belief as incontrovertible truth.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2013, 10:56
Jul 31, 2013, 10:55
Hi TJJ - that sounds lovely and I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. As you know, I visit Glastonbury regularly being a resident of Somerset and there's a truly tangible energy there. It really is a unique and special place. I climb the Tor, visit the Chalice Well, and bottle water from the Chalice Well and White Springs in the adjacent lane that you mention. I don't know if you've read these, but I highly recommend them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avalonians-Patrick-Benham/dp/0906362687

http://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Arthurs-Avalon-Story-Glastonbury/dp/0750948817/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375264418&sr=1-4&keywords=geoffrey+ashe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glastonbury-Avalon-Heart-Dion-Fortune/dp/1578631572/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375264468&sr=1-1&keywords=dion+fortune+avalon

Namaste _/\_
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2013, 11:05
Jul 31, 2013, 11:03
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Nothing is known about druidic lore. Anything we surmise is entirely speculative. It's very easy to make grandiose statements like "... it part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system", but much harder to back up such statements with old-fashioned things like facts and evidence.

Seeing as the druids left NO WRITTEN RECORDS, it's rather hard to see what your source for this assertion would be. Other than speculation, of course. Not that I have any problem with speculation. If you want to say "druidic lore COULD POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system", then hey, go right ahead. State it as fact, and you're no different to any other religious zealot passing off personal belief as incontrovertible truth.

What a curiously dull and soulless place the world would be if we ignored all oral tradition, folk memory, myth and legend and just relied on your 'hard evidence' alone. Not for me, that's for sure, and as for being a religious zealot ? Nah. That unnecessarily insulting comment says far more about you than me.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 11:06
Astralcat wrote:
Hi TJJ - that sounds lovely and I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. As you know, I visit Glastonbury regularly being a resident of Somerset and there's a truly tangible energy there. It really is a unique and special place. I climb the Tor, visit the Chalice Well, and bottle water from the Chalice Well and White Springs in the adjacent lane that you mention. I don't know if you've read these, but I highly recommend them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Arthurs-Avalon-Story-Glastonbury/dp/0750948817/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375264418&sr=1-4&keywords=geoffrey+ashe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glastonbury-Avalon-Heart-Dion-Fortune/dp/1578631572/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375264468&sr=1-1&keywords=dion+fortune+avalon

Namaste _/\_

Thanks Asralcat, I have come across those books, they take me back to a different time in my life. Perhaps when I was still looking for the meaning of life and the point to it all. Now I've reached a place where I've stopped looking - I know less now than I've ever known and am certain of nothing except the sun coming up every day and that all things will pass. So while I'm still privileged with a life, Glastonbury is one of the places I go to give thanks for it.

Peace
x
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 11:11
tjj wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Namaste _/_

Thanks Asralcat, I have come across those books, they take me back to a different time in my life. Perhaps when I was still looking for the meaning of life and the point to it all. Now I've reached a place where I've stopped looking - I know less now than I've ever known and am certain of nothing except the sun coming up every day and that all things will pass. So while I'm still privileged with a life, Glastonbury is one of the places I go to give thanks for it.

Peace
x

Very wise words TJJ. Love & Light to you!
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 11:16
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

What a curiously dull and soulless place the world would be if we ignored all oral tradition, folk memory, myth and legend and just relied on your 'hard evidence' alone. Not for me, that's for sure, and as for being a religious zealot ? Nah. That unnecessarily insulting comment says far more about you than me.

Oral tradition is marvellous, and it provides wonderful material for speculation about all kinds of things. But it is not reliable evidence, and it does not allow us to make definitive statements about what the druids believed. We can't even be certain that any oral traditions descend from druidic teachings or beliefs. So like I said... speculate. That's fine. Definitive statements however, like "druid law is part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system" are factually inaccurate. Stating personal beliefs as fact is a hallmark of religious zeal.

Speaking of which, I don't believe I called you a religious zealot. I said that passing off personal beliefs as fact makes you no different to a religious zealot. That's not an unreasonable position, is it? Zeal is defined as:

"fervor for a person, cause, or object; eager desire or endeavor; enthusiastic diligence; ardor."

The fact that you're so quick to take that as an insult, and try and use it as a means of undermining a rational and reasonable argument says more about you than it does about me ;)
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2013, 11:54
Jul 31, 2013, 11:41
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Oral tradition is marvellous, and it provides wonderful material for speculation about all kinds of things. But it is not reliable evidence, and it does not allow us to make definitive statements about what the druids believed. We can't even be certain that any oral traditions descend from druidic teachings or beliefs. So like I said... speculate. That's fine. Definitive statements however, like "druid law is part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system" are factually inaccurate. Stating personal beliefs as fact is a hallmark of religious zeal.

Speaking of which, I don't believe I called you a religious zealot. I said that passing off personal beliefs as fact makes you no different to a religious zealot. That's not an unreasonable position, is it? Zeal is defined as:

"fervor for a person, cause, or object; eager desire or endeavor; enthusiastic diligence; ardor."

The fact that you're so quick to take that as an insult, and try and use it as a means of undermining a rational and reasonable argument says more about you than it does about me ;)

You really are a curious fellow. " I don't believe I called yo a religious zealot " > " You're no different to any other religious zealot ". Hmm. If something is not different to something then what does that imply ? That is obviously a rather insulting comment. As for written records, of course there are none, but quite a lot of information can be gleamed from bardic sources and Celtic legend. It's suprising what you can discover. Anyway, I shall leave you to your arguments, rational or otherwise.

ps: and yes, Glastonbury IS a chakra!
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index