Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.

Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.
Jul 11, 2013, 14:16
Incoming Traveller wrote:
My parents were driving through Glastonbury several years ago on the run up to the festival. They had a bad time of it: people banging on the windows demanding to be taken to the festival site. They both found it extremely intimidating. I would not like to be living anywhere near the place around festival time!

That was either quite a few years ago, or a very unusual experience. Glastonbury town is empty during the festival these days. The absence of fence jumpers means that the vast majority of punters now turn up on the Wednesday/Thursday in their nice cars, lock themselves inside the wall, and don't leave until the Monday.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 14:17
woosh wrote:
you know this event may be held some way from the tor etc but the masses do of course descend on the whole area generally.

No they don't. The festival is pretty self-contained these days, and very few people loiter before and/or after.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 15:42
It was a while back, to be sure. And if it was an unusual occurrence, then so much the better. And getting back on topic, I should point out here that I find any sacred site is better when few humans are there at one time. A few people doing their thing respectfully can enhance a place, too many, or even one or two taking up loads of space, can spoil it. My partner used to visit the stone circle at Glasto when it was quiet, well before the festival began, and she found it a wonderful space. To be fair, she never had a chance to see how/if it was affected during the festival as she was always working.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 15:53
(it's not an old one though is it, it's new? Do places have to be old to get sacred vibes? or are they naturally vibey? Now this is the question :)
woosh
35 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 16:11
Mock away all you like , the ancient druids very much had their roots way back in vedic hindu understanding (inc chakras) of all things . Im not talking any new age bullshit here at all !, this is gnomic knowledge of life, the cosmos and metaphysics.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 16:18
woosh wrote:
Mock away all you like , the ancient druids very much had their roots way back in vedic hindu understanding (inc chakras) of all things . Im not talking any new age bullshit here at all !, this is gnomic knowledge of life, the cosmos and metaphysics.

Seeing as we haven't got any records whatsoever of the teachings and beliefs of the druids, that does sound rather like new-age bullshit to me. Also, there's no proven connection between druidism and Glastonbury. Nothing but speculation. Certainly nothing about hearty chakras.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 11, 2013, 16:32
woosh wrote:

Gnomes , druids and Shaftsbury are new age enough for me but earth chakras and the beardie bloke on the web site show at least a sense of humour but still bollocks if you take it seriously .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2013, 18:41
Jul 11, 2013, 18:25
Rhiannon wrote:
(it's not an old one though is it, it's new? Do places have to be old to get sacred vibes? or are they naturally vibey? Now this is the question :)

I've never seen it but understand some venerable modern antiquarians such as John Michell were involved in alignments when it was erected. Yes, I think 'modern' stone circles can be atmospheric if old stones are used and they are sited somewhere of natural beauty preferably on a hill.

I love Glastonbury, not so much the town which I can take or leave - the Tor and the springs are sacred to me. Don't ask me to explain why because I won't be able to.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 08:19
Depends on their position, I suspect: both geographical and their alignment. There's a recent tiny stone circle a few hundred yards from Boscawen-Un stone circle in West Penwith, erected by a local Pagan sculptor and it's a magical thing - but yes, this may well be about where it is, as much or even more than what it is.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 12, 2013, 08:27
It's all done by formula...

Sz(r) x Sp(r) x L(r) x (M+L)

Right size, right spacing, right location, moss and lichen.
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index