Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited May 24, 2013, 11:40
Favourite Places
May 24, 2013, 10:34
Pembrokeshire; This is my favourite place (it's the place where the bluestones came from;) and has a wealth of archaeology that would need a whole lifetime of discovery. Pete Crane, archaelogist for the area..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/10076268/National-Park-focus-Pembrokeshire-Coast-National-Park.html#disqus_thread

http://www.pembrokeshirecoast.org.uk/Files/files/Walk%20PDF/half_day_walks/english/the_golden_road.pdf
hedgedruid
87 posts

Re: Favourite Places
May 24, 2013, 13:12
heading there next week ,it is a beautiful place and we never get around to seeing all we want to see even though we've been many times .
cerrig
187 posts

May 24, 2013, 14:06
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146413824#50014
CARL
511 posts

May 24, 2013, 14:29
Pembrokeshire is indeed a beautiful part of the world.
On a nice day visit White Sands beach - fab!
postman
848 posts

May 24, 2013, 17:26
Pembrokeshire's very nice, but its no Snowdonia.
The Eternal
924 posts

May 26, 2013, 00:29
Hi moss,

Pembrokeshire is the Cornwall of Wales, or so I'm told, but that is high praise indeed. I've never been, but I will one day.

My favourite area has to be torn between two places. One is the Lake District, mainly within the National Park, as, in my opinion, there is nowhere in England as magnificent, and the prehistoric sites there are enhanced by the stupendous scenery of mountains, dales, becks, and the extremes of weather.

My other is Wessex. By this I really mean Wiltshire, but Dorset has similar qualities. There's nowt like Wiltshire, with her rolling downs, big skies, and beautiful scenery. The prehistory of the place just makes my spine tingle when I'm there, like nowhere else. That place is truly blessed with monuments. Even a glimpse of a simple round barrow sets my pulse racing. If I wasn't so obsessed with getting onto the mountains of Cumbria I'd move to Wiltshire

Maybe in another life I could be a Phil Harding.

All the best,
TE.
moss
moss
2897 posts

May 26, 2013, 08:24
Hi Eternal,

Yes I also love the landscape of Wiltshire, lived there for 12 years, walked the area and the rolling chalk downs gives you the spiritual feeling of openness and history - a meeting with the gods, Silbury funnily enough made me put down roots in Calne. Barrows are my favourite points of walking too, so my next move which was to Bath, and the downs of Somerset with its hillforts tumbling down the Cotswold Way and the world opened out for me with the Mendips on the door step as well. Fell in love with Stoney Littleton and Stanton Drew and strangely enough Ebbor Gorge which transported me back to prehistoric England by its strange wildness.

Now what, came back from North Yorkshire last week, and a whole new landscape to explore, bleak and brown over the moors but strongly evocative with its becks and isolated stones and Horcum Hole still takes the breath away. There is such peace over the moors contrasting vividly with the 'tamed' nature down south.

But then St. David's Head with its cromlechs and promontory fort and the quiet supposed circle at St.Non looking over the sea always hauls me back, Pentre Ifan another wonder of the world...
scubi63
463 posts

May 26, 2013, 22:23
It is so difficult to put any single place as a favourite as they all have their merits.
While I haven't visited everywhere in the Uk I have been lucky enough to see most of the great prehistoric landscapes and every one has left me with a stupid grin on my face that has taken at least week to remove.
However, I have been fortunate enough to live in North Wiltshire area for most of the last 44 years and I never tire of visiting not only Avebury but all the places within an hours drive of my house. There is so much to see on my doorstep it is no wonder I have never moved and never wanted to.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

May 26, 2013, 23:03
Derbyshire for me. :)
Lived in Sheffield for all my 43 years and couldn't imagine living elsewhere, even my beloved Avebury, which is the place i recharge whilst catching up with some very dear friends. But i've everything i need here, big city and one of the greenest in the world and only a short drive to be surrounded by monuments. I actually love coming home. :)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 28, 2013, 13:19
Pembrokeshire is lovely, its easy to see why you love it so much Moss - in fact it was you who inspired me to go in autumn back in 2009. On that occasion I went by public transport and probably stayed too far south but still lovely (the first time I saw ravens was while walking the coastal path). We live in a beautiful country much of which is accessible to the coastline and sea.

I've just returned from my 'big' trip to the Highlands of Scotland and Lewis/Harris. The mountains (still snow capped) are breathtaking and everything seems clean and well cared for. Inverness is a city I'd love to go back to ... the truth is though, my favourite place is Wiltshire - specifically the Avebury landscape. The Marlborough Downs and Pewsey Vale will always feel like home ... and home is where the heart is.
All the best - good to see you back.
June
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index