Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece

Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 01, 2013, 09:03
So, I've read my copy of the book (thankyou Roy)...

The jigsaw puzzle certainly makes sense. I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention as to when the rearrangement would have been made, I presume in the neolithic?

Also, I am unaware of any other quoit or tomb with a diagonal dividing stone. Are there any still standing examples?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2013, 09:59
Re: Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 01, 2013, 09:27
juamei wrote:
So, I've read my copy of the book (thankyou Roy)...

The jigsaw puzzle certainly makes sense. I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention as to when the rearrangement would have been made, I presume in the neolithic?

Also, I am unaware of any other quoit or tomb with a diagonal dividing stone. Are there any still standing examples?

Hi Juamei,
When re-arranged is an unknown I'm afraid. I believe it comes down to the hole in the Capstone because when that was pummelled through it was the likely cause of the Capstone slipping. Due to the positioning of the buttress that was offset from the opening it suggests it was still in use after the slippage otherwise it would have been placed centrally for maximum benefit.

No other diagonal dividing stones that I am aware of in this country although there are far more cromlechs that have been destroyed or are no longer with us than are still here. Funnily enough there is only one stone circle with lintols as well! Always something new to consider eh :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 10:13
"Funnily enough there is only one stone circle with lintols as well!"

Two, but both currently in the same place"?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 10:20
nigelswift wrote:

LOL...stop splitting hairs :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 10:23
nigelswift wrote:

Don't forget the inflatable, fibreglass and polystyrene ones either!!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 10:29
nigelswift wrote:

And to suggest it as 'something new' is erroneous, as if it is a stone circle variant, it's barely a stone circle at all, a likely representation in stone of a wooden linteled circle.
To use that as an example of how there might suddenly appear a completely new tradition in portal tomb building is just typical misleading stuff, desperate connections attempted, typical self published, unreviewed fare.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 10:46
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

And to suggest it as 'something new' is erroneous, as if it is a stone circle variant, it's barely a stone circle at all, a likely representation in stone of a wooden linteled circle.
To use that as an example of how there might suddenly appear a completely new tradition in portal tomb building is just typical misleading stuff, desperate connections attempted, typical self published, unreviewed fare.

I'm smiling to myself here as I had you down as the number one to stick the knife in as all of your previous posts to me have been. Nothing new there either is there. Try lightening up a bit and read the whole content before accusing me of being misleading. I'll await your order in due course :-)
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 11:04
So, I think I agree some rearrangement has taken place, the stones look wrong at present. I've been to other dolmens and thought they looked wrong too though, but I guess it could be argued they were also rearranged (or none of them were!)

I'm afraid I just don't buy the sloping inner stone though, I've not seen anything like it or seen anything like it mentioned anywhere. I know Stonehenge is unique so other unique things are possible (and do occur especially in tomb building) but it just seems so very wrong to me...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2013, 11:09
Apr 01, 2013, 11:08
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

I'm smiling to myself here as I had you down as the number one to stick the knife in as all of your previous posts to me have been. Nothing new there either is there. Try lightening up a bit and read the whole content before accusing me of being misleading. I'll await your order in due course :-)

I've completely lost track of what's going on here Roy. Is he attacking both of us?

If me: I was just saying some say the bluestones were a pre-existing circle (with lintels) so there may be one or possibly 2 such circles known. So how is that a bad thing to say?

If you: well, pointing out SH is unique in order to illustrate that lack of precedents don't invalidate your theory is a totally valid thing to say. So what all the bitter and twisted stuff is all about Gawd knows.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 11:12
juamei wrote:
So, I think I agree some rearrangement has taken place, the stones look wrong at present. I've been to other dolmens and thought they looked wrong too though, but I guess it could be argued they were also rearranged (or none of them were!)

I'm afraid I just don't buy the sloping inner stone though, I've not seen anything like it or seen anything like it mentioned anywhere. I know Stonehenge is unique so other unique things are possible (and do occur especially in tomb building) but it just seems so very wrong to me...

Yes other things are possible Jamie and we have to be pretty blinkered not to appreciate that. I'me very pleased with my findings but appreciate that others will have alternative views. Twin chambers and both with access points doesn't seem that strange to me, but that's just my opinion.
Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index