Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 08, 2013, 13:04
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tjj wrote:

PS: Razor wire is horrible - hope never to see it at an ancient monument.

Hardly ideal, but my point was that they could, if they absolutely *needed* to make sure people stopped climbing the hill, take that option.

Thats why I qualified it with what I really believe is going on. I think the current approach is merely a limiting exercise rather than an absolute rule.

I can't disagree with your last point - there does seem to be something of double standards going on. I've never climbed Silbury as an adult (ran up the lower slopes with my dog when I was about 12). Its got to be the same rule for everyone, including EH employees - except for scientific purposes and maintenance.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 13:06
VBB wrote:
[Personally, I will press for an increased number of slightly larger signs around the fenceline and at key sites. The most important of these would be signs in the car park, and on the approaches, such as one mounted facing both directions on the new stile (so that one can't help but be confronted with it's message)

I think that would make a big difference. Most people, if confronted, would say they didn't see any notices. If they don't have that option a lot would not go up I reckon. EH need to employ a psychologist.

I'm not a big fan of saying EH archaeos go up there and they let the occasional Druid and film crews up there, so either everyone or no-one should be allowed up. It's all about limited numbers because damage is in proportion to numbers - and being organised.

Plus I'm willing to bet that if 15 respectable people approached EH for an accompanied group visit they'd be accommodated. If so that rather undermines the "my right to do what I like" sentiments that some use as justification. Maybe EH should advertise such trips, like they do at Stonehenge.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 13:12
nigelswift wrote:

I'm not a big fan of saying EH archaeos go up there and they let the occasional Druid and film crews up there, so either everyone or no-one should be allowed up. It's all about limited numbers because damage is in proportion to numbers - and being organised.

Plus I'm willing to bet that if 15 respectable people approached EH for an accompanied group visit they'd be accommodated. If so that rather undermines the "my right to do what I like" sentiments that some use as justification. Maybe EH should advertise such trips, like they do at Stonehenge.

I strongly disagree with you. This is double standards and seems to fly in the face of everything you've previously said. Think about it.
Am logging off now as haven't got time to be drawn into this perpetual argument any further.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 13:19
goffik wrote:
That photo speaks volumes...

Doesn't it just! Maybe it should be reproduced on VBB's "can't miss them" notices so anyone that goes up can be in no doubt not only that they're doing what they've been asked not to but also that they ARE contributing to cumulative damage. A lot would decide not to at that point I'm sure.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2013, 13:21
Jan 08, 2013, 13:20
Charming.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 13:26
nigelswift wrote:
Maybe it should be reproduced on VBB's "can't miss them" notices so anyone that goes up can be in no doubt not only that they're doing what they've been asked not to but also that they ARE contributing to cumulative damage. A lot would decide not to at that point I'm sure.

I agree, I think many would decide not to.

I also agree with what you (half jokingly perhaps) referred to regarding psychology.
Just as an exmaple, imagine several signs, one after the other. Friendly, welcoming, but each urging (some might say begging) people not to climb the monument. Something like that would make the guillt of ignoring those pleas quite large in most peoples minds.

Its fairly easy to get people to do/think what you want, you just have to know the tricks I guess.
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 13:42
From a psychological point of view, the fact that it is possible to go around the back, cross the field and climb the hill without being seen from the road or viewing area helps to promote a attitude that might be a lot different if they were seen and up close.

It's a shame the general viewing public can't get a lot closer. Maybe to the base of the monument where those that are inclined to ignore the signs would fall under the glaze of those that prefer to keep to the 'rules'.

If they were being observed climbing the hill, up close and personal, it might just make a difference.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2013, 13:50
Jan 08, 2013, 13:49
Harryshill wrote:
From a psychological point of view, the fact that it is possible to go around the back, cross the field and climb the hill without being seen from the road or viewing area helps to promote a attitude that might be a lot different if they were seen and up close.

It's a shame the general viewing public can't get a lot closer. Maybe to the base of the monument where those that are inclined to ignore the signs would fall under the glaze of those that prefer to keep to the 'rules'.

If they were being observed climbing the hill, up close and personal, it might just make a difference.

Also, if people could get up close the hill there could even be a small part where they could be allowed to 'stand on' the side of the hill (which promotes a feeling of having done something 'special', like kissing the blarney stone etc or other 'things to have done in your life'). Again, the psychology of that is quite powerful.
We need to get that sort of stuff going in peoples minds - The top is "obviously" off limits and "wrong" to do, but, hey i've stood on the hill!
People are happy if they think they have done something 'special', whether its actually special or not.

It might sound ridiculous to some, but human psychology often is!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 13:55
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Harryshill wrote:

Also, if people could get up close the hill there could even be a small part where they could be allowed to 'stand on' the side of the hill (which promotes a feeling of having done something 'special', like kissing the blarney stone etc or other 'things to have done in your life'). Again, the psychology of that is quite powerful.
We need to get that sort of stuff going in peoples minds - The top is "obviously" off limits and "wrong" to do, but, hey i've stood on the hill!
People are happy if they think they have done something 'special', whether its actually special or not.

It might sound ridiculous to some, but human psychology often is!

Great ideas.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 14:00
Harryshill wrote:

I suspect that would definitely help - especially if there was a circular pathway around the base of the hill, meaning tourists would be constantly walking around it. Alternatively, make the moat permanent ;)
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index