Silbury Hill trespassers

Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VBB
558 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 17:35
thesweetcheat wrote:
Way more people would climb the hill if you put a designated path in. Way, way more. People (the majority of people anyway) generally stick to footpaths when out in the countryside, there is a strong fear of "getting caught" that most people have. Clearly there are exceptions and as we have discussed plenty of times before, people draw their personal line in different places across different contexts.

Putting a little post up with a "this way to climb Silbury" sign on it will generate a huge increase in people who will climb it. I think it would take the numbers from several dozen a year well into the hundreds.

A wooden stair was proposed before but dismissed by the powers that be because of how ugly it would be and how it would ruin the feel of the site. The solution is education I feel, because the alternative also discussed is razor wire, and that would be an enormous shame.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 17:37
thesweetcheat wrote:
Way more people would climb the hill if you put a designated path in. Way, way more. People (the majority of people anyway) generally stick to footpaths when out in the countryside, there is a strong fear of "getting caught" that most people have. Clearly there are exceptions and as we have discussed plenty of times before, people draw their personal line in different places across different contexts.

Putting a little post up with a "this way to climb Silbury" sign on it will generate a huge increase in people who will climb it. I think it would take the numbers from several dozen a year well into the hundreds.

I personally think it's the way forward but quite happy to accept other peoples opinions and reasons.

Now, to bring the dreaded H&S into the equasion. If an approved path was laid how liable would the NT be if somebody's kid fell whilst playing silly buggers?
Conversely, if things remained as they are, could a trespasser who fell and got injured claim on the grounds that the NT didn't have secure fences up and the signs didn't say it was illegal to climb the hill? In other words, did the NT go to enough lengths to prevent JP from climbing it?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Silbury Hill money-making tourist attraction
Jan 07, 2013, 17:38
How about a stair lift? EN/NT could surely charge a few bob for a ride up and down. Or maybe a stair lift up and a water slide down (certainly a big enough pool at the bottom at the moment).
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Silbury Hill money-making tourist attraction
Jan 07, 2013, 17:43
thesweetcheat wrote:
How about a stair lift? EN/NT could surely charge a few bob for a ride up and down. Or maybe a stair lift up and a water slide down (certainly a big enough pool at the bottom at the moment).

No, no, no. Open up the tunnel just backfilled then the miners shaft straight up the middle to the top for a lift. Job done!
I'm gonna put in my application now for an ice-cream stand on the summit :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 17:44
Sanctuary wrote:
I personally think [a path is] the way forward but quite happy to accept other peoples opinions and reasons.

You could be right, I don't personally have a particular problem with a path, other than:

(a) climbers would be likely to increase greatly in number, so that would need a solution to stop wear getting worse.
(b) all those iconic views of Silbury would not be enhanced in any way whatsoever by seeing people on the slopes. It runs the risk of destroying what makes it special to those who like to "view" it (which includes me, selfishly).
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Jan 07, 2013, 17:44
Jan 07, 2013, 17:44
Sometimes I wonder if the people who built Silbury are looking down upon all this and laughing their heads off at us.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 17:45
Sanctuary wrote:
I'm gonna put in my application now for an ice-cream stand on the summit :-)

Mmm, ice-cream.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 17:46
From their space-ship? Yes indeedy.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 17:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
From their space-ship? Yes indeedy.

Ha! I saw the author of that book (if that is what youre referring to) signing copies at the Henge Shop last time I was there.

Just next to the £9 scrapers.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 17:51
It's a bit cheeky but i think i've got it - stick Nigel there and job done, it would keep me away.
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index