Julian Cope presents Head Heritage

Head To Head
Log In
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Silbury Hill »
Silbury Hill trespassers
Log In to post a reply

Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4787 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 15:57
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
If it's not then all the talk in the world is not going to stop the damage as long as one can walk in and just get on with it. If the hill can't be defended in the courts then it can only be done by secure fencing...and I mean secure, with human presence. It's about time all the talking and excuses stopped. If the Queen owned SH outright they'd son find some way of making it secure!

I'd be quite happy to see Silbury fenced off. But it won't work. People would just cut or climb the fence. The only way you could keep people off the hill would be to have a permanent security presence - which costs money.



That's what I said!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 15:59
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
To me the answer is quite straight forward. If illegal trespass is creating the damage then that trespass has to be stopped! If it can't, then there must be a severe weakness in that trespass law or it simply isn't being tested.

Laws can't solve all social problems. It's just not possible without a police state and coppers on every street. How, just for starters, would you even go about apprehending people who were climbing the hill? Assuming you just captured them on camera, how would you identify them? Regardless of whether prosecutions SHOULD take place, it's simply not practical and will never happen.


How about erecting an animal proof fence and housing half a dozen lions in there :-)


Chuck a few steaks to the side and run like $*"&.
Mustard
1041 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:01
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:07
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.


But they could get the lions on hire Purr-chase.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4787 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:07
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.


So it's a pointless exercise then. They may as well reinstaste the old chalk track which we all walked up when I was younger and just maintained it as and when. Works for the banks of the Great Circle. They can then turn their attention to the roof of the WKLB which has been worn away but nobody seems to care a fig about that!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:09
Sanctuary wrote:

So it's a pointless exercise then. They may as well reinstaste the old chalk track which we all walked up when I was younger and just maintained it as and when. Works for the banks of the Great Circle. They can then turn their attention to the roof of the WKLB which has been worn away but nobody seems to care a fig about that!


Oh, they do. Watch this space! (well, not this space, but you get my drift)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4787 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:09
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.


But they could get the lions on hire Purr-chase.


You're not trolling as VBB are you? (joke) :-)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:11
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.


But they could get the lions on hire Purr-chase.


You're not trolling as VBB are you? (joke) :-)


Thats it! Hire a troll to guard the hill.

He can sit in the ditch and scare people off if they get too close.
Mustard
1041 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:11
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.


So it's a pointless exercise then. They may as well reinstaste the old chalk track which we all walked up when I was younger and just maintained it as and when. Works for the banks of the Great Circle. They can then turn their attention to the roof of the WKLB which has been worn away but nobody seems to care a fig about that!

That might be the only viable solution. Personally, I'd fence it off as discretely as possible and see if that reduces numbers down to a level where damage is negligible. If that doesn't work, then the only option is to live with the fact that people will climb the hill, and do whatever's possible to mitigate any potential damage - like putting a footpath up it.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 16:14
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.


So it's a pointless exercise then. They may as well reinstaste the old chalk track which we all walked up when I was younger and just maintained it as and when. Works for the banks of the Great Circle. They can then turn their attention to the roof of the WKLB which has been worn away but nobody seems to care a fig about that!

That might be the only viable solution. Personally, I'd fence it off as discretely as possible and see if that reduces numbers down to a level where damage is negligible. If that doesn't work, then the only option is to live with the fact that people will climb the hill, and do whatever's possible to mitigate any potential damage - like putting a footpath up it.


How much would 24hr security cost a year, £60/£70k? (Complete guess)

If people were charged a small fee if they wanted to get up close to the hill, thats one possible solution.

Not necessarily a popular one, but does the hill need protection or not?
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index