Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 12, 2013, 13:08
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Yes, but I don't think a compromise is needed but a consensus. I'd suggest one has emerged, and it's this:

1. Some people think it's OK to climb because their individual action is harmless (and they're right)

2. Most think it's not OK to climb because the cumulative damage is harmful (and they're right)

3. The photos have emphasized how right group 2 is, so there's a growing view that whatever can be done to get most of group 1 to join group 2 should be.

4. It's mostly about better notices and it's really up to EH to address that issue. As someone who, in his time, put up dozens of notices there because they hadn't put up enough, and had them all removed by them without them adding to their own, I don't think there should be a request for them to do it but a public clamour.

One of the problems is people travel hundreds, and in some cases thousands of miles to Avebury, with their mind set on climbing Silbury, and it's these people who wont heed the signs as it'll probably be their only visit to the WHS and they see it as being acceptable as it'll be a one off life event, the thought of potential damage and keep off signs take a back seat in the excitement, and disappointment isn't on the agenda. Of course there will be other more local that believe they have a right to climb as i did, in fact the only reason i don't go up anymore is out of respect to VBB, if it weren't for his personal words and his obvious love of the hill i'd climb it again without thought, and the problem is i doubt you can get across the message in such a personal heart felt way with signs.

So the only solution imo, stick VBB there 24/7 to intercept the climbers. :)

He'd need one of my patented 3 speed walking sticks to catch them :-)

Could you incorporate a cattle prod too. ? :)

LOL
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:11
nigelswift wrote:
Some will never heed signs it is true but the better the signs are the fewer hardliners there will be, and there IS room to improve the signs.

One thing the signs could do is show a few images from about 1 minute 35 seconds in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aszkz_vifUo which amounts to a close-up of the damage done by the "new" path. Outrageous really, and that was in Summer. Not many people wouldn't "get it" that they shouldn't add to that.

Tell you something i think would help, another focus by Silbury along the lines of the large cairn by Stonehenge, or even dare i say a picnic area.
If you approach "the back way" as soon as you cross the Winterbourne it's a now or never situation, dash across the field and get to the bottom of Silbury (and therefore out of sight) and climb as quickly as possible, there's no other reason to enter that field really, but if there were another focus in that field i believe people would be happy being that close and may just sit and gaze rather than climbing, i mean the car park is crap in those terms, way too busy and not a comfortable area to sit and contemplate. doubt it's feasible btw but just throwing my thoughts out there.
tomwatts
376 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:14
...The steps and handrail seem to sit easy on Merlin's Mound...
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:15
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
with no reason for that to change.

Agreed.
Just bringing a bit of reality here Roy as signs wont work imo. I've spoke to dozens of people on their way to climb and nothing will stop them, in fact i tried to stop a friend going up last year but he wouldn't have it, indeed he went back twice more despite my words, people are drawn to it like a magnet and sensibility goes out the window.

Just to touch on sponsored signs, i believe the "hippies" for want of a better word will tear those down in no time due to the perceived sullying of their temple/sacred hill.

That's why I favour the reinstatement of the path Geoff. You know what it's like, bloody hard work scrambling up the sides when you can easily walk up a path. Even an idiot would realise that and take the path route if he/she didn't have to hide around the back any longer!

I believe those using a reinstated path are a different breed to those who climb round the back, they simply wont want to pay, plus one of the "buzzes" is the fact you may get caught, though in reality that rarely happens i guess. You'll still have the erosion problem but with two approaches. Plus i'd personally hate to see the path reinstated myself, turns it into a fair ground ride imo.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:34
tomwatts wrote:
...The steps and handrail seem to sit easy on Merlin's Mound...

Yeah but that's tree covered so the steps kinda blend in.
On another note, the last two years i've been there the steps were cordoned off, so you had to climb besides them on the hill. ! They don't exactly welcome visitors there anyway though do they.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:36
The Last 2 summer solstices I used the stile to get over the nearest fence and up silbury [i've never been up in winter though because i feel a lot more damage is done when it's muddy], it must have been hiding from you.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:42
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
with no reason for that to change.

Agreed.
Just bringing a bit of reality here Roy as signs wont work imo. I've spoke to dozens of people on their way to climb and nothing will stop them, in fact i tried to stop a friend going up last year but he wouldn't have it, indeed he went back twice more despite my words, people are drawn to it like a magnet and sensibility goes out the window.

Just to touch on sponsored signs, i believe the "hippies" for want of a better word will tear those down in no time due to the perceived sullying of their temple/sacred hill.

That's why I favour the reinstatement of the path Geoff. You know what it's like, bloody hard work scrambling up the sides when you can easily walk up a path. Even an idiot would realise that and take the path route if he/she didn't have to hide around the back any longer!

I believe those using a reinstated path are a different breed to those who climb round the back, they simply wont want to pay, plus one of the "buzzes" is the fact you may get caught, though in reality that rarely happens i guess. You'll still have the erosion problem but with two approaches. Plus i'd personally hate to see the path reinstated myself, turns it into a fair ground ride imo.

They could hand out sacks for the ride back down.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:43
bladup wrote:
The Last 2 summer solstices I used the stile to get over the nearest fence and up silbury [i've never been up in winter though because i feel a lot more damage is done when it's muddy], it must have been hiding from you.

Just not sure where abouts you mean Paul, initially i thought you meant over the fence at the bottom of Silbury, though i guess you didn't mean there.
The approach i see used a lot is from the bridge over the Winterbourne, the fence there is broken down so easy to climb.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 13:53
harestonesdown wrote:
bladup wrote:

Just not sure where abouts you mean Paul, initially i thought you meant over the fence at the bottom of Silbury, though i guess you didn't mean there.
The approach i see used a lot is from the bridge over the Winterbourne, the fence there is broken down so easy to climb.

Yes a stile over the fence at the very bottom of Silbury, me and a friend did laugh when we first saw it [i've used it twice] as it's next to a sign telling you not to climb, talk about mixed signals eh.
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 16:05
Maybe it's meant for those that have authority to be on the hill.
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 125 26 27 28 29 30 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index