Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VBB
558 posts

Re: tma discusses Silbury rationally?
Jan 10, 2013, 15:41
Littlestone wrote:
Steve M wrote:
EH's website:

"All the known voids inside Silbury Hill, and the crater on the summit, were then re-filled with 1,465 tonnes of chalk. The mound has now been restored to as near its original condition as possible. "

Hmmm... they seem to have forgotten the numerous metal struts from the Atkinson/BBC Tunnel that couldn’t be removed (for safety reasons) and were left behind, nor whether the small boulders such as these found within the monument were ever returned to their original position.

I guess you could say all that is water under the monument now (and I suppose it is) but, just for the record, EH’s version of what they’ve done to consolidate Silbury can be a little economical with the facts to say the least. Point made, time to move on and get the trespassing issue sorted.

English Heritage, don’t be as slow addressing this issue as you were when Silbury was so perilously threatened and very close to collapse. You are being watched, and you will be held to account if you mishandle this.

You always mention the lintel and you haven't. I want a refund!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 15:41
Steve M wrote:
bladup wrote:
No you've totally misunderstood, there was a collapsing tunnel, they even showed it on the telly, it will then take a few years [now] to see the effects of this collapse on the surface, if part of a tunnel collapes [it did] everything over it will also collapse over time, i say that's happening now, i hope i'm wrong but lets see what EH say over the next few years, i think you'll find they'll soon admit to slippage to do with the collapsing tunnel a few years back, a bit of backfilling just isn't enough to sort it out.

Ah, it was on the telly!
Remember - I don't have one.

LOL...well there you are Steve, look what you're missing out on :-)
VBB
558 posts

Re: humour and passion - a success story
Jan 10, 2013, 15:43
VBB wrote:
Is this the longest Silbury thread on tma without war breaking out and the topic getting locked?

Has the evident damage got tma-ers to pick up the same hymn sheet and discuss rationally?

It can't last, I just can't believe it. Well done folks!
VBB
558 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 15:44
Sanctuary wrote:
Steve M wrote:
bladup wrote:
No you've totally misunderstood, there was a collapsing tunnel, they even showed it on the telly, it will then take a few years [now] to see the effects of this collapse on the surface, if part of a tunnel collapes [it did] everything over it will also collapse over time, i say that's happening now, i hope i'm wrong but lets see what EH say over the next few years, i think you'll find they'll soon admit to slippage to do with the collapsing tunnel a few years back, a bit of backfilling just isn't enough to sort it out.

Ah, it was on the telly!

How can you come out with that when all you watch is repeats of Allo Allo?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 15:44
Feck! Where is it now anyway?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 15:47
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Steve M wrote:
bladup wrote:

Ah, it was on the telly!

How can you come out with that when all you watch is repeats of Allo Allo?

?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 15:59
Steve M wrote:
I went to Silbury at noon today.
Incredibly, as I was taking pics of the damage a bloke appeared on the top! He must have climbed up from the S side by the road:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq278/Steve_M_02/Silbury%20Hill%20Damage%2010-01-2013/DSCN2160sml_zpsd28c8690.jpg

Jeepers that's some water slide isn't it!! Seeing it that close makes you really appreciate the size and seriousness of the problem doesn't it!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 16:03
Steve M wrote:
Incredibly, as I was taking pics of the damage a bloke appeared on the top! He must have climbed up from the S side by the road:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq278/Steve_M_02/Silbury%20Hill%20Damage%2010-01-2013/DSCN2160sml_zpsd28c8690.jpg

He wasn't performing a magic ceremony or taking pics - just having lunch:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq278/Steve_M_02/Silbury%20Hill%20Damage%2010-01-2013/DSCN2161cu_zpsf5bb47f5.jpg

I think he deserves a new thread titled Caption Competition...
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 16:28
nigelswift wrote:
Steve M wrote:

He wasn't performing a magic ceremony or taking pics - just having lunch:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq278/Steve_M_02/Silbury%20Hill%20Damage%2010-01-2013/DSCN2161cu_zpsf5bb47f5.jpg

I think he deserves a new thread titled Caption Competition...

"Mothers Pride"
VBB
558 posts

Jan 10, 2013, 16:40
Littlestone wrote:
Feck! Where is it now anyway?

That would have been a memorable title for David Bowie's new single!

Last time I saw it, it's weight was putting a bulge in a metal rack in the archaeology store. Reckon they could raffle it!
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 120 21 22 23 24 25 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index