Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2013, 14:18
Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 08, 2013, 14:17
Harryshill wrote:
From a psychological point of view, the fact that it is possible to go around the back, cross the field and climb the hill without being seen from the road or viewing area helps to promote a attitude that might be a lot different if they were seen and up close.

It's a shame the general viewing public can't get a lot closer. Maybe to the base of the monument where those that are inclined to ignore the signs would fall under the glaze of those that prefer to keep to the 'rules'.

If they were being observed climbing the hill, up close and personal, it might just make a difference.

Very nice idea. A path all the way round the base - similar, maybe, to the one at the Rollright Stones; that’s (visually) very unobtrusive and also provides access to wheelchair users. There might be a few minor problems to iron out but they shouldn’t be insurmountable.

So come on English Heritage (we know you read TMA) how about a bit of input on the issue.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2013, 14:40
Jan 08, 2013, 14:37
Mustard wrote:

I suspect that would definitely help - especially if there was a circular pathway around the base of the hill, meaning tourists would be constantly walking around it.

You'd need nerves of steel to climb all the way up and then all the way down with the catcalls and hisses of the disapproving public ringing in your ears and the flashes of their cameras in your eyes and youtube waiting to broadcast your naughtiness to the world.

I reckon that's cracked it and all it would cost EH is a nice bit of green wheelchair-friendly walkway and some extra notices. I love it as it's a simple and inexpensive yet highly effective solution that came from and would be provided by the community. They have to provide stewardship that UNESCO approves of and they'd gobble up anything that's community related.
Steve M
44 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 14:45
Just remember how many people used to climb Silbury at summer solstice!
Here's a pic from 1997 - at least a couple of hundred people, all dancing on top of what turned out to be a few planks and some soil covering a void:

http://www.stevemarshall.org.uk/oldpans/silbury.jpg
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 15:11
Mustard wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
It's a shame the general viewing public can't get a lot closer. Maybe to the base of the monument where those that are inclined to ignore the signs would fall under the glaze of those that prefer to keep to the 'rules'.

I suspect that would definitely help - especially if there was a circular pathway around the base of the hill, meaning tourists would be constantly walking around it. Alternatively, make the moat permanent ;)

Definitely. Sharks in the ditch, then the wire fence enclosing the lions. The NT then actively encourage trespassers in therebye saving them the cost of feeding the animals. Job done!
VBB
558 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 15:12
Littlestone wrote:
So come on English Heritage (we know you read TMA) how about a bit of input on the issue.

Headline: High flyers invited by anoraknoids to discussion on the web :)

Methinks they too cute to turn up!
VBB
558 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 15:16
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Harryshill wrote:

I suspect that would definitely help - especially if there was a circular pathway around the base of the hill, meaning tourists would be constantly walking around it. Alternatively, make the moat permanent ;)

Definitely. Sharks in the ditch, then the wire fence enclosing the lions. The NT then actively encourage trespassers in therebye saving them the cost of feeding the animals. Job done!

Crabs arev no good, people could always catch them!

How about Ticks?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 15:29
VBB wrote:

How about Ticks?

Too time consuming!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 16:03
VBB wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

Headline: High flyers invited by anoraknoids to discussion on the web :)

Methinks they too cute to turn up!

Would that be because we’re the high flyers and they’re the anoraknoids ;-)

NB: It was because of our highflying objections on this board, on HA and of Lord Avebury himself, that EH’s ridiculous plan for a time capsule was shelved n'est-ce pas?

Never doubt the power of the minority.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 16:06
Believe me it would get cut down again and again, i'd even do it myself.
Steve M
44 posts

Jan 08, 2013, 16:14
Perfect! That's why it will be electrified.
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index