tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Granite would take longer but it is not used too often .It does tend have lots of natural cup like holes that could help as a start i.e. they that just get enhanced . Although granite on granite would work with nothing to enhance ,just take longer , the more complex motifs are usually avoided too .

Funnily enough that's a point (no pun intended!) I was going to raise, the use of a natural cup like hole to start it off. If they did and there was more than one, the 'pattern' produced would have been random and may not have been important to them, just the cupmarks themselves. Does that tell us anything other than the obvious?

No , it does us tell us something ,same as the important point that the rock surface often has a big input into what gets engraved . The assumption is often that the engraver approaches the canvas with a composition in their head that gets faithfully trasferred to the canvas .It doesn't seem that is what going on in many cases . It's more like jamming , you are constrained to an extent but not following anything prescriptive , you react to things as they appear to impose stuff .

Following the flow of energy in the rock or following and using "the fault lines" in the rock, see you do know.

As we don't know what the engraver imagined about the rock that is not visually obvious we can't comment . What we can see that obviously has an infuence on the engraver are the texture , slope , cracks and fissures and shape of the rock .

When I was at achnabreck a few years back (jumped the fence I'm afraid, simply couldn't resist) I was sat there dumbfounded, attempting to follow logical lines of thought to work out what it could have been that the people responsible were attempting to communicate, but I've come to think it is not an attempt at communication at all. If it were, why would not one individual throughout that entire time span have engraved a simple, naive, immediately recognisable image?
With what Tiompan has said above, and bladup to some extent, I wonder if the answer lies closer to the natural "characteristics" of the rock (or whatever properties the rock was thought to hold) being enhanced. The rock being manipulated for use in some way, rather than any type of communication.

We Honestly saw the energy in the rock at night once trippin on Ilkley moor and the next morning we were astonished to see the energy we had seen matched the rock art, the one thing i don't know about what i saw - is the rock art marking the patterns of energy in the rock or is the rock art shaping the energy in the rocks into the patterns of the artist?

You saw the rock art first hand but before that had seen pics these influenced what you saw when tripping . If you have never heard of or seen the Buddha or Christ you won't dream about them or see them on trips .
Your mind is creating the patterns that resemble rock art motifs it's just that you believe you are seeing energy patterns . Others believe they see energy patterns that look nothing like rock motifs , what they are seeing isn't energy either .

like fuck, this isn't what happened at all [i didn't know of the rock art for a start] and that certainly isn't how my mind works anyway, Ilkleys a very special place indeed, I was in their mainly unchanged landscape [maybe a few less trees] walked where they walked, ate what they ate, slept where they slept and saw what they saw, simple as that, learning from experience, you can't beat it, you should try it as it'll make your knowledge on the subject complete, without you'll never ever really know.

Paul...all this 'enlightenment' and knowledge you claim to have gained over the years, how has it benifitted you? Are you a successful person because of it or has it held you back? You come across as a very thinking person but I get the vibes of a troubled one mixed in with it. By troubled I mean frustrated.

I've been into the light and into the dark, and you'll get both from me sometimes, but mainly good, but i am troubled in the sense that wars, people hurting others [esp kids] and people hurting the earth [i hate massive quarries, they make me want to cry] makes me very upset and i feel a lot of pain in all those things [as you should], on a personal level you name it and i've or someone i care for has been though it, this has hardened me a lot [it would anybody that's been though what we've been though], it's the other side of life that i'm here for [spirit/soul world] you know what happened to me and it really did save my life, as i used to live a very wild life and spent most of it in various states, i certainly lived life to the full but because i was a real mess inside, i used substances to make me feel better, my experience changed that, it fixed me inside, put me in control, i then settled down [compared to before, i have only done things since now and again to learn and communicate from/with spirit] and had a family [something i'd not have been able to handle before] and have been great ever since but have had to battle a lot of real demons trying to hurt people i care for, this is the feeling you speak of, i know you know this but this was my life changing experience again [for anyone who doesn't know what i'm talking about] and the reason i'm talking to you now - I got into this world of stone circles and the like after a big trip on liberty caps [ it wasn't my first trip ], me and a friend had a life changing experience in lincoln at the spot we later built the stone circle, the mushrooms for some reason had gone purple but were still in perfect condition though, we brewed and drank the potion and went for a walk. When we got to the local park everything was glowing with life [ even though it was dark ] and then we seemed to pass though some sort of veil, i was looking around when my friend said paul, paul look at the stars, as i did every one of them linked together in a massive cosmic 3d jigsaw [ i saw all the stars of our solar system join together ] with that a hole appeared near taurus [ i later found the egyptians call this the duat- which means hole in the sky! ] and with that what can only be described as a dragon of energy came out of it, went up and then crashed back down, it pushed me gently to the floor, i laid there my friend leaning into the cosmic wind, i could see the particles passing right though him, and with that it finished, i couldn't move, i told my friend to lay down but he went and sat on the bench to think about what just happened, as he did great purple columns [ the same colour as the mushrooms ] came crashing down in a circle around me [ the later stones of the circle marked these columns ], as the last one crashed into place i started an inner journey, my friend later said he couldn't get into the circle, i was flying down a tunnel, i can only describe it as what it must be like falling from a building before you hit the ground, and bang i was there, everything was a brilliant white and all i could feel was pure love, i had gone from utter fear to utter love in a moment, i was laid down in pure peace when a figure of pure light appeared from my left, the whole place was light, but this figure was an even purer light, it didn't glow though, it was a brilliantly bright pure white light, the figure stood over me, bent over and shook its head, i could see no features but felt a smile just like you feel a smile from a loved one, it then bent over, it's legs either side of mine and touched me on the shoulder, all i can say to describe it would be cosmic love, i thought as it happened hallucinations don't touch you and make you feel like this, it then looked at me again and i felt another smile and it walked off to my right, and with that i was back in the park [ even though i know my body had never left ], as i got up i felt fixed inside [ i'd had a bad break up with a girl i had lived with and had been wild for a time and felt broken inside ] and at that point i knew i had a new life of happiness ahead, which i have had, my friend looked at me with excitement and said what the hell just happened, i said a miracle and we left that park both knowing all sorts about stone circles and that age [ before this i had only ever heard of stonehenge ] that we didn't know before we went to that park on that night [ this was oct 11 1997 ], we both knew that night that we had lots of wonderful places to visit and we've been visiting ever since, i believe the being that touched me to be a higher form of human, and it will always be my most treasured experience because i believe it saved my life, so therefore everything after [ my family ] i owe to that beautiful being of light on that oh so special night, truly life changing, all my love paul.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index