Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?/La Hougue Bie
Dec 19, 2012, 07:59
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Being born and raised in Jersey this is the first time I'd heard about and eventually saw rock-art. It's in the passage grave at La Hougue Bie where we used to play as kids. Click on 'back' at the bottom of the page and you'll see a drawing of it. It was this at first sight that I thought might be a crude map indicating the various megalithic remains on the island and their importance but never really got too deeply into it.
http://www.megalithics.com/europe/jersey/bie/biera4.htm

I love instinct, especially a kids, what a great place to play, i bet it was great for your imaginations.

Being born the year after the war and the German occupation of my island, places such as the passage grave at La Hougue Bie were pretty much unprotected at the time as there were far more important issues taking place. I lived in a 'States' house (the islands Council house) at the Arsenal about two miles or so from the site so it was part of our adventure route. Nobody cared much for what we did there and it was great jumping out on a pal after hiding in a side chamber. It was black as pitch inside then but we had no fear of it. It's only as you got older and learnt what it was all about that is sort of became spooky to you.
If you ever get to Jersey it's an absolute must to see. Breathtaking.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index