tiompan
5758 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?/Cupmarks
Dec 17, 2012, 18:47
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Two questions for our experts. Is it possible to 'age' unrecorded rock art and at the same time differentiate between two distinct periods (age) of art on the same rock?

After 86 posts and about 80 being totally irrelevent to the thread, may I, in an attempt to stabilise things ask a further question that hopefully we can all join in sensibly. Sorry if that sounds patronising but it's not meant to be.
Cupmarks. To my untrained eye, many of them look 'natural'. How do you tell the difference between those and the 'manufactured' ones?

Roy , quite , and not patronising .I posted this a wee while ago .Might help .
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/14271/non_rock_art.html

Thanks George. I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before, but have you ever overturned a decent sized rock and found man-made (or otherwise) cupmarks on the reverse side? Sorry if it's a daft qiestion but if the answers yes, then it may suggest a particular 'use'.

Not daft , I can't remember doing so and probably not . Most engraved rocks if not bedrock are a fair size but there are examples of portable marked rocks , like cobbles found in funerary contexts like cairns or the sideslabs of a cist .Your hypothetical example would have to about that size ,in which case it is possible .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index