Dec 17, 2012, 12:11
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

No mention of the the lack of evidence for anything hallucinogenic from any beakers or pottery found in Neolthic

Just a small point, and its obviously GW, but even though Balfarg is somewhat 'out on its own', just because it has yet to be found elsewhere, doesnt mean it wasn't happening more widely.

Balfarg was shown not to be an example years ago . So there is no evidence .
It's odd that the myth about it has hung about so long yet it didn't take long to point out the original study was flawed .

Not to be an exmaple of what?

Maybe I have misunderstood but I assumed that you were talking about
evidence for hallucinigens on pottery .

No, you understood correctly, I just hadn't read about the re-analysis.
Dear oh dear, marks off for me!

I'm going back again now..

Having fully read the paper, it is not the case that Balfarg has been shown not to be an example at all, more that the attempted replication did not prove it.

"It is possible that the residue differed markedly in pollen and macrofossil content across the sherd and this explanation may account for the small cache of henbane seeds identified in the first study (Moffat 1993)."

It seems there is the possibility that the first study correctly identified black henbane, but the 2nd could not confirm it.

Fair?

The conclusion was "Although palaeobotany has the potential to be used in support of theories of hallucinogenic drug use in prehistory in statistically reliable ways, it has not succeeded in doing so at this site."

I was speaking to someone involved with the second paper recently ,and their reaction was one of disappointment about the results .
What is interesting is that the original was 1993 it was refuted in in 1999 yet we only hear of the 1993 comment ,the refutation has been around twice as long .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 17, 2012, 12:13
nigelswift wrote:
I think it should be made clear there is only one person being repeatedly, crudely offensive on this thread Roy. Let us not blame the forum.

"repeatedly, crudely offensive" not me, i have just stood my ground [and that's from someone who can be "repeatedly, crudely offensive"], but not today you troublemaker [you even call yourself this on The heritage journal].
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2012, 12:21
Dec 17, 2012, 12:20
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
The rock art and monuments themselves are evidence enough for me as to what substances the natives were drinking before the beer and mead came [and after], and the first alcohol may well have started in the classic beaker, but people still had drinking vessels before then, what do you think was in them ritually? as normally it would be dandelion tea or something, but not for ritual, you could argue that ALL ritual comes originally from hallucinogens, like Evergreen said a lack of evidence doesn't mean it wasn't happening, and how can anybody know or find anything out if they're not allowed [which you don't] to speculate, it's all really really sad - this prove it or it isn't true lark, why not have it this way - you fucking prove it isn't true - i bet you can't [and we all know why!!!].

It obviously doesn't take much evidence to convince you .
You can argue anything you like but without evidence you won't get very far .
Some people have little interest in a finding out what actually happened in the past , they prefer to use it as a blank template to impose their dreams rather than face the facts , whether it's the British Empire or Stonehenge .
You believed that nonsense about the Balfarg sherd because it suited your beliefs and dreams why not face up to the facts .
Maybe you should read what Evergreen said after that .
Investigate proving negatives .
I can't prove the tooth fairy doesn't exist either

I never even mentioned Balfarg this time because i was talking about brewed mushrooms, i hope your still here when they soon start finding out all the things that were in the vessels, then you might know where i'm coming from -practical experience [you can't beat it], talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 12:27
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
The rock art and monuments themselves are evidence enough for me as to what substances the natives were drinking before the beer and mead came [and after], and the first alcohol may well have started in the classic beaker, but people still had drinking vessels before then, what do you think was in them ritually? as normally it would be dandelion tea or something, but not for ritual, you could argue that ALL ritual comes originally from hallucinogens, like Evergreen said a lack of evidence doesn't mean it wasn't happening, and how can anybody know or find anything out if they're not allowed [which you don't] to speculate, it's all really really sad - this prove it or it isn't true lark, why not have it this way - you fucking prove it isn't true - i bet you can't [and we all know why!!!].

Wish I hadn't started this thread now. Where have those days gone when we discussed things sensibly and without being offensive if we differed in views :-(

Roy , it's tiresome , but we shouldn't let the offensive stuff stop us posting .If we do the bullies succeed .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 12:30
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

No mention of the the lack of evidence for anything hallucinogenic from any beakers or pottery found in Neolthic

Just a small point, and its obviously GW, but even though Balfarg is somewhat 'out on its own', just because it has yet to be found elsewhere, doesnt mean it wasn't happening more widely.

It's odd that the myth about it has hung about so long yet it didn't take long to point out the original study was flawed .

Having fully read the paper, it is not the case that Balfarg has been shown not to be an example at all, more that the attempted replication did not prove it.

"It is possible that the residue differed markedly in pollen and macrofossil content across the sherd and this explanation may account for the small cache of henbane seeds identified in the first study (Moffat 1993)."

It seems there is the possibility that the first study correctly identified black henbane, but the 2nd could not confirm it.

Fair?

The conclusion was "Although palaeobotany has the potential to be used in support of theories of hallucinogenic drug use in prehistory in statistically reliable ways, it has not succeeded in doing so at this site."

I was speaking to someone involved with the second paper recently ,and their reaction was one of disappointment about the results .
What is interesting is that the original was 1993 it was refuted in in 1999 yet we only hear of the 1993 comment ,the refutation has been around twice as long .

Well, as you'll know, the more sensational discovery is obviously going to receive more attention on the average megalithic site, thats just the way the world works unfortunately.
It would be nice if things were balanced in that sense, but I suppose its a lesson in choosing sources carefully.
I hadn't read about the 1999 study, but that may be because it was fairly early on in my interest in the subject. But its a shame, info on the re-analysis should be as obvious in any search as the initial claim is in blogs, news sites etc, without having to seek out the individual papers.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 12:31
nigelswift wrote:
I think it should be made clear there is only one person being repeatedly, crudely offensive on this thread Roy. Let us not blame the forum.

I wasn't Nigel. My post was in reply to Paul's. He has a lot to offer and it's such a shame he can't accept other points of view without continuing until unpleasantries take over. We have all learnt to agree to disagree over the years.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2012, 12:40
Dec 17, 2012, 12:38
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

I wasn't Nigel. My post was in reply to Paul's. He has a lot to offer and it's such a shame he can't accept other points of view without continuing until unpleasantries take over. We have all learnt to agree to disagree over the years.

If they [tiompan, nigel and sometimes Harryshill] were as open minded as you Roy there wouldn't be a problem, if it wasn't for the pack mentality i'm sure you'd see that for yourself, i mean Nigel calls himself "troublemaker" on the jounal, it speaks for itself, he comes here in that guise.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 12:41
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Fair?

Well, as you'll know, the more sensational discovery is obviously going to receive more attention on the average megalithic site, thats just the way the world works unfortunately.
It would be nice if things were balanced in that sense, but I suppose its a lesson in choosing sources carefully.
I hadn't read about the 1999 study, but that may be because it was fairly early on in my interest in the subject. But its a shame, info on the re-analysis should be as obvious in any search as the initial claim is in blogs, news sites etc, without having to seek out the individual papers.

Yep, nobody is interested in " war doesn't break out " .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 12:46
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Fair?

Yep, nobody is interested in " war doesn't break out " .

Ha, v true!
Harryshill
510 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 13:07
That's interesting. I know it's called Rock Art, but I just though of that as a title rather than a possible fact (If you know what I mean). If the creator is using the stone in that manner it does suggest the motives are more artistic than practical.
Pages: 42 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index