Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Zennor Quoit query
Sep 08, 2012, 11:11
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
I don't have any expectations about Trethevy or any other monument you have to take them at face value .They are not utilatarian so anything goes , there is no blue print for portal tombs you even get double capstones What is the one off possibility at Trethevy ?

Maybe my terminology (one-off) is wrong but I feel some of the stones are out of position and give a false impression of what it may have been like on first-build. That's all I want to say about it at this time other than I believe that happened when the capstone partially slipped.
An interesting thing about most of these monuments is that if you took them all apart and laid the pieces out on the ground I wonder how many people would reassemble them as they stood beforehand if they hadn't seen them before but were told what they were?

I assume that the stones that you feel are out of position are where they are due to natural forces and not the hand of man .
We shouldn't apply our preconceptions like necessity , opportunism ,simplicity or utility to the design when these principles were unlikely to have been important to the builders .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index