Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 128 29 30 31 32 33 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trespass on SSSI sites
Sep 07, 2012, 10:59
tjj wrote:
Oh! The Silbury thread has been locked - I thought the discussion was productive. I had something to add about 'trespass' so I'll just add it here as a little addendum (as Silbury is a SSSI).

Criminal Trespass
People who cause damage while trespassing may, in the process, commit a criminal offence
(e.g. of criminal damage of property under the Criminal Damage Act 1971) but trespass is per se not normally a criminal offence. Trespass is a criminal offence in some cases, for example on railway land or where military byelaws are in force.
Another example of criminal trespass is where land has been notified as a Site of Special Scientific Interest; a trespasser may, in the process of trespassing, commit a criminal offence under Section 28P of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, if they (without reasonable excuse):
- intentionally or recklessly destroy or damage any flora or fauna or geological or physiographical features by reason of which the land is of special interest;
- intentionally or recklessly disturb fauna; and they knew what they had destroyed, damaged or disturbed was within a SSSI. Indeed, any person, whether a trespasser or not, who intentionally causes the damage noted above is also likely to be committing a criminal offence.

My, my, my haven't you all been busy while I've been away for a few days!! I bet June never dreamt for one minute that the resurrected thread would create so much drama!
I've waded through a few and I have to say well done to all for the way you have conducted yourselves (no patronising intended or meant) which is a tremendous breakthrough considering the problems we encountered a year or so ago. We are all like-minded folk with the same aims albeit sometimes achieved in slightly different ways. We must all accept each other for what we are and enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours. Onward and upward :-)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 07, 2012, 11:31
Sanctuary wrote:

My, my, my haven't you all been busy while I've been away for a few days!! I bet June never dreamt for one minute that the resurrected thread would create so much drama!
I've waded through a few and I have to say well done to all for the way you have conducted yourselves (no patronising intended or meant) which is a tremendous breakthrough considering the problems we encountered a year or so ago. We are all like-minded folk with the same aims albeit sometimes achieved in slightly different ways. We must all accept each other for what we are and enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours. Onward and upward :-)

Hi Sanctuary, I would recommend reading the whole thread (if you have the energy!)

How was your trip? And Boleigh?
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: feelings vs facts
Sep 07, 2012, 11:35
Moth wrote:
Well, for me it wasn't to do with respect for the ancients - they're dead & don't care - it was more to do with not wanting to do ANY damage, no matter how invisible or infinitesimally small.

How would you feel about somebody illegally accessing a churned up Neolithic site at Priddy, with who knows what laying around on the damaged surface?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2012, 11:37
Sep 07, 2012, 11:36
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Hi Sanctuary, I would recommend reading the whole thread (if you have the energy!)

Hi ED, just mentioned my trip on another thread, but did not get to see Boleigh but did see the fogou at Carn Euny which was breathtaking. I rang the Boleigh folk to apologise for not visiting and will be going again.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 07, 2012, 11:38
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Hi EV, just mentioned my trip on another thread, but did not get to see Boleigh but did see the fogou at Carn Euny which was breathtaking. I rang the Boleigh folk to apologise for not visiting and will be going again.

I'm sure the other sites visited more than made up for it.
I've never been to Carn Euny while down in Cornwall, but i'll make a note for next time.
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 07, 2012, 11:38
Moth wrote:

If a person or people went traipsing around through the houses every night, or every other night, or once a week, or once a month, invisible infinitesimally small damage would become less invisible & less infinitesimal.

That's highly speculative and very unlikely though. You could just as easily (well, a whole lot more easily!) argue that you're doing damage by walking on the embankment at Avebury. Are we saying that doing damage is ok so long as we're not breaking any rules?

I respect your decision and your reasons for making it though. Which is the main point here really - it seems like we're all THINKING about our decisions, and acting in good conscience.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2012, 12:48
Sep 07, 2012, 11:54
Moth wrote:
Well, for me it wasn't to do with respect for the ancients - they're dead & don't care - it was more to do with not wanting to do ANY damage, no matter how invisible or infinitesimally small.

If a person or people went traipsing around through the houses every night, or every other night, or once a week, or once a month, invisible infinitesimally small damage would become less invisible & less infinitesimal.

I think our logic was as Rhiannon said - we were only doing exactly what we would have been doing if we'd entered during opening hours, so definitely wouldn't be doing ANY damage that we wouldn't've done if we'd gone in when it was open.

love

Moth

If you didn't want to do any damage, no matter how invisible you wouldn't visit anywhere as everywhere we go our feet touch the ground [ you'd love some hover boots then!!! ], carn euny and places like it have 1000's of feet all the time and the place seemed all right the other day, did you look from the wall when you visited? I suppose it's ok for you to go traipsing around carn euny because no ones told you not to, i think it's strange how it's alright to walk over some places but not others, as i've said lots before i think this is all about them making money out of the place- did you leave the money on the side? ],
Do you really think walking around the top of the houses does no damage!!!!, what you did was still wrong, it's like saying our wrongs bigger than your wrong- and that's just opinion, The ancients are dead and may not care about some, but i can assure you they have always been there for me, a lot of people mix that feeling up with shitty religion, but in saying that even religious people have some element of faith, think of all the places you've been and it's quite clear to me the ancients believed in something higher than there day to day lives, i think it's at the heart of all things supernatural.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 07, 2012, 12:59
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Hi EV, just mentioned my trip on another thread, but did not get to see Boleigh but did see the fogou at Carn Euny which was breathtaking. I rang the Boleigh folk to apologise for not visiting and will be going again.

I'm sure the other sites visited more than made up for it.
I've never been to Carn Euny while down in Cornwall, but i'll make a note for next time.

Yes make it a 'must see'. The fogou is 65ft long and once through the entrances about 6-6 high. Adjacent to the 'main' entrance is another tunnel which once through opens up into a fantastic stonewalled round chamber about 15ft in diameter. They have put in a 'rooflight' to illuminate it and it has a real WOW factor.
I shot an HD vid of all the places I visited and I think it will run to about 90 mins. When I've edited it I'll copy a few to disc and offer them out just for the postage cost and small cost of the disc itself to anyone who may be interested. Purley amateur stuff though you'll understand.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Sep 07, 2012, 13:54
Hi Sanctuary

I shouldn't get too caught up in the whole thread - there was an awful lot of point scoring going on, and a certain amount of sock puppetry - you know the drill. ;)

G x
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 07, 2012, 13:55
goffik wrote:
Hi Sanctuary

I shouldn't get too caught up in the whole thread - there was an awful lot of point scoring going on, and a certain amount of sock puppetry - you know the drill. ;)

G x

Nice to see you rising above it then ;)
Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 128 29 30 31 32 33 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index