Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Zennor Quoit (calling ocifant)
Aug 23, 2012, 18:06
Alan, I picked up a fieldnote from you on the Portal regarding Zennor Quoit:-

'On my second visit a few months later, I started from the 'Eagle's Nest' (halfway between Zennor and Wicca) and headed straight across the hill. This was a much gentler slope than my previous attempt, and I managed to find both Sperris Quoit and Zennor Quoit with no problems whatsoever'.

Is the Eagle's Nest a pub on the B3306 between Zennor and Wicca? I ask because you say you had a trouble-free walk from here where all the other reports I have read speak of head high gorse, getting lost and adders!! I am planning to be there the first week of September but am a bit concerned about my two dogs I'll have with me with regard to the snakes. Is it that bad or was your experience not so alarming (compared to your first attempt)?

Other guys please feel free to chip in with your own experiences of this site.
Cheers
Roy
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Zennor Quoit (calling ocifant)
Aug 23, 2012, 18:29
Hi Roy,

This is the route I meant here:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=66344&message=840025

The Eagle's Nest is a house by the road - I think it's where the label "Higher Tregerthen" appears on the OS 1/25000. The driveway to The Carne is on the opposite side of the road, you can see it as a double pecked line on the map (not shown as a footpath, but the whole area is access land so you can wander).

As the driveway heads south from the road, it forks. The right fork (the driveway) continues to The Carne, the left fork (a track) goes to Sperris. You can take either, Sperris Quoit can be reached via the left fork, near some ruined mine buildings. If you go to The Carne (which is derelict, or was when I last went), turn left (south-east). The Quoit is on the right of the path heading this way.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 19:17
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi Roy,

The Eagle's Nest is a house by the road - I think it's where the label "Higher Tregerthen" appears on the OS 1/25000. The driveway to The Carne is on the opposite side of the road, you can see it as a double pecked line on the map (not shown as a footpath, but the whole area is access land so you can wander).

As the driveway heads south from the road, it forks. The right fork (the driveway) continues to The Carne, the left fork (a track) goes to Sperris. You can take either, Sperris Quoit can be reached via the left fork, near some ruined mine buildings. If you go to The Carne (which is derelict, or was when I last went), turn left (south-east). The Quoit is on the right of the path heading this way.

Cheers TSC. Sorry but I missed that earlier post for some reason.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 19:48
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi Roy,

This is easily the best way and a brilliant description of how to get there, decent paths all the way, gentle slope and your dogs will be fine [ there's always plenty of dog poo, so others use it ], use a map and tsc's way and you can't go wrong [ or can you ? ] and i agree you might as well visit the ruined sperris quoit while your up there as they are quite close, and if you want to make an afternoon of it you can go to the tor and have a rock on the still rocking logan stone, i think you're going to like it up there [ because of a certain other quoit ]. The only problem i can think of is parking, because i don't drive and i don't think tsc does either i don't know about parking, so someone may be able to help you out on that score.
postman
848 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 20:20
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi Roy,

This is easily the best way and a brilliant description of how to get there, decent paths all the way, gentle slope and your dogs will be fine [ there's always plenty of dog poo, so others use it ], use a map and tsc's way and you can't go wrong [ or can you ? ] and i agree you might as well visit the ruined sperris quoit while your up there as they are quite close, and if you want to make an afternoon of it you can go to the tor and have a rock on the still rocking logan stone, i think you're going to like it up there [ because of a certain other quoit ]. The only problem i can think of is parking, because i don't drive and i don't think tsc does either i don't know about parking, so someone may be able to help you out on that score.

We approached from the north also

There is no purpose built car park, but there is a layby for about three cars maybe, plus two or three smaller one car laybies
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 20:28
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi Roy,

Thanks guys. Yes my Explorer map confirms all of what TSC said and thanks for the 'go ahead' re the dogs. We had one of our Borders bitten in the lip by an adder a few years back and nearly lost him even though he was into the vet within half an hour. Wouldn't happen like that at Zennor I wouldn't think so one has to be aware of these things! And yes I tend to check out all that's about in an area to see if there's any possibility that they may be connected because quite often these sites may not be just 'stand-alone' structures.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 20:41
postman wrote:
bladup wrote:
The only problem i can think of is parking, because i don't drive and i don't think tsc does either i don't know about parking, so someone may be able to help you out on that score.

There is no purpose built car park, but there is a layby for about three cars maybe, plus two or three smaller one car laybies

I walked up from the bus stop at Zennor, but's not a nice road to walk along really (narrow and busy). If you can park as postie suggests, job done!

(It's not the most interesting way to the Quoit, but certainly the easiest by far).
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 20:51
thesweetcheat wrote:
postman wrote:
bladup wrote:
The only problem i can think of is parking, because i don't drive and i don't think tsc does either i don't know about parking, so someone may be able to help you out on that score.

I walked up from the bus stop at Zennor, but's not a nice road to walk along really (narrow and busy). If you can park as postie suggests, job done!

(It's not the most interesting way to the Quoit, but certainly the easiest by far).

You're a class act if you have to either walk or rely on public transport TSC. Hat's off!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 21:02
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
postman wrote:
bladup wrote:

You're a class act if you have to either walk or rely on public transport TSC. Hat's off!

unless I'm with Postie or Drew...

We've just completed Offa's Dyke Path - 177 miles from North Wales to South using public transport, I'm quite chuffed with that. :)

But I've also torn my hamstring, so perhaps there's a lot to be said for cars! :(
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 23, 2012, 21:14
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
postman wrote:
bladup wrote:

unless I'm with Postie or Drew...

We've just completed Offa's Dyke Path - 177 miles from North Wales to South using public transport, I'm quite chuffed with that. :)

But I've also torn my hamstring, so perhaps there's a lot to be said for cars! :(

Good man. At least you know if you're with Drew you won't get dehydrated as he has all the 'watering holes' clearly ringed in red ink (allegedly) :-)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index