Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 07, 2011, 12:46
drewbhoy wrote:
And the Auld Scots held water in high reverence, being quite serious, as whisky is known as the 'water of life'.

Yes they called it 'falling down water' didn't they Drew:-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 12:54
goffik wrote:

Just my opinion, of course! Good to have someone disagreeing with me for a change though! :D

G x

Which reminds me :-)

http://youtu.be/teMlv3ripSM
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 13:26
goffik wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
I completely disagree. Yes, there are other lovely ones around, but The Chalice Well is of huge significance and importance re. Glastonbury and its Sacred Heritage. If it's good enough for Dion Fortune, it's good enough for me!

Ah - I don't doubt it's importance, there's just too much concrete (and "om"ing!) for my liking! ;) Be good if you could reach the water prior to it running through all the concrete channels and bits where people bathe their feet...

Just my opinion, of course! Good to have someone disagreeing with me for a change though! :D

G x

For you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GgAPgnRfM
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 13:34
Om Shanti dude!
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 13:39
"Ok my opinions are that too much immigration from WHERE EVER is a bad thing and I feel this is obvious to anyone looking dispassionately and without immovable views based on ideology. Surely TOO MUCH of anything is a bad thing?"

Everybody's racist, it seems to a greater or lesser degree. And this discussion is also taking place on other bulletin boards - I'm following the one on the farmers' board. Makes this look like the model of restraint.

Politically-correct teachers? Better than the ones with canes surely? It seems as though a measure of how full a country is could be made based on the ability of that country to feed itself. If the UK imports half of its food (in gross terms) then we could be said to be overful by a ratio of 2 to 1, and an ideal population would be in the 35 million region. Anyone fancy seeding that concept somewhere noticeable?

The thing about teachers being predominantly left wing is probably that that trait is associated with social awareness, or responsibility. The children that fail at school have failed, effectively, before they even get to school. Propped up on a settee with a bottle of sweet tea and shouted at if they start to move. (Back to arguing about bees and organic honey) ...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 13:40
I can't help but think we should be having this discussion over on U-Know - TMA isn't really the place for these political topics.

Quite.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 13:41
You're not one of these communist teachers are you, corrupting our youth and all that?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 14:58
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
This has been a very interesting discussion and like any good debate - challenging at times. What no one has mentioned though is the burden that new developments places on our rivers, which I also consider to be sacred. The River Kennet for example always 'runs' dry near to its source in the summer - I've mentioned before that it used to service the new housing development on the southern edge of Swindon. I suppose we have accepted by now that the water that comes out of our taps has flushed a few toilets in it the past.

The time is not far away when water will become as expensive an utility as power - yet it always seems to be left out of the ecology argument of wind farms/solar heating, etc. Not hard to see why clean, clear springs were held in such reverence by our ancestors.

Nicely put June.

As our natural resources continue to dwindle, the insanity continues:

http://www.fleetstreetinvest.co.uk/commodities/water/water-to-become-precious-as-oil-00022.html
Gwass
193 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 15:18
Politically-correct teachers? Better than the ones with canes surely?

You could make a strong case against that point & millions do.

When teachers, or parents for that matter were allowed to discipline kids propperly with a clip round the ear or the cane we had a much safer & nicer society than now. We didnt get feral rioting youths in those days or aggressive, violent kids in the way we do now. Pure coincidence or a result of the wet excuse for discipline we have now? Teachers can't even touch a child even to comfort them & restraining them can lead to a tribunal due to these Lilly livered rules we have now.

Looking at the bigger picture things have got a lot worse since those things were banned. So I think in the long run it benefits society rather than purely focussing on the negatives of the act itself. It's allowed in Europe and the rest of the world and they don't have the problems we do. Funny that eh?
Gwass
193 posts

Sep 07, 2011, 15:26
Just realised how ridiculously off topic this is. I'm sticking to prehistoric stuff unless responding from now on.

Cheers
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index