The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: East Coker/ Hinkley Point
Oct 04, 2011, 12:18
moss wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
This article is a very good summation of the entire situation we are facing:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/poets-corner-the-battle-for-ts-eliotrsquos-village-2362671.html

The protest against the third nuclear reactor at Hinkley Point received scant media attention. I wonder why....

What with Fracking in the Mendips, the massive housing expansions, and now this, wonderful Somerset, a county so rich in natural beauty and ancient heritage, is in real peril:

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2011/hinkley-protest-03-10-11.php

I suspect Seacat that it all comes down to people protesting in their own areas and fighting the battles on home ground! You would think the Fukishama disaster in Japan would have driven it home how dangerous nuclear energy can become should a disaster befall a nuclear plant. But do we have relevant footage on the BBC? media coverage?
The answer is no, the old adage 'bread and circuses' or Strictly Come Dancing maybe, is of more importance to most people - apathy and a rotten government to lead that apathy and renege on 'green promises' yet on the other hand make it easier for the 'big fellows' to get their way through messing around with planning laws, or at least adjusting them to serve the big corporations - sweet...

Thanks for replying, as I'm sure most people are bored with this thread, but it just makes me so angry. Bread and Circuses indeed.
What doesn't help Somerset in particular is that its completely Coalition dominated. It used to be Tory, then the Lib Dem regime, and now a nice balance to push all their rapacious and destructive policies through with no political opposition whatsovever, and the example of East Coker just to goes to show what contempt public oppinion is held in here - systematic of the national outlook, sadly. I've more or less decided that I'm going to leave Somerset now when the house gets sold.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2011, 12:54
Oct 04, 2011, 12:50
drewbhoy wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
moss wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
This article is a very good summation of the entire situation we are facing:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/poets-corner-the-battle-for-ts-eliotrsquos-village-2362671.html

The protest against the third nuclear reactor at Hinkley Point received scant media attention. I wonder why....

What with Fracking in the Mendips, the massive housing expansions, and now this, wonderful Somerset, a county so rich in natural beauty and ancient heritage, is in real peril:

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2011/hinkley-protest-03-10-11.php

I suspect Seacat that it all comes down to people protesting in their own areas and fighting the battles on home ground! You would think the Fukishama disaster in Japan would have driven it home how dangerous nuclear energy can become should a disaster befall a nuclear plant. But do we have relevant footage on the BBC? media coverage?
The answer is no, the old adage 'bread and circuses' or Strictly Come Dancing maybe, is of more importance to most people - apathy and a rotten government to lead that apathy and renege on 'green promises' yet on the other hand make it easier for the 'big fellows' to get their way through messing around with planning laws, or at least adjusting them to serve the big corporations - sweet...

Thanks for replying, as I'm sure most people are bored with this thread, but it just makes me so angry. Bread and Circuses indeed.
What doesn't help Somerset in particular is that its completely Coalition dominated. It used to be Tory, then the Lib Dem regime, and now a nice balance to push all their rapacious and destructive policies through with no political opposition whatsovever, and the example of East Coker just to goes to show what contempt public oppinion is held in here - systematic of the national outlook, sadly. I've more or less decided that I'm going to leave Somerset now when the house gets sold.

That is sad news about you leaving the area. Could be worse you could live in a country that almost wiped out the LibCons yet we still have to put up with their crap. We never wanted, voted for any nuclear stuff yet we still have it, Faslane included. At least down in England the majority, of those who voted, seem to want it. Maybe it is those who don't vote who are the real allies of the idiots in charge.

Thanks Drew. Sod them. I love Somerset, and I'm staying in the West Country. Devon seems most likely. Plenty of Stones to visit.

Perhaps voting should be mandatory.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2554 posts

Oct 04, 2011, 14:14
Maybe it should, in a way you can't blame the Tories. The Lib Dems should know better and the next general election might sort them out. It's those who don't vote and then blame the situation on those they've let in that annoy me the most. As for up here, I might support independence but it doesn't mean I support the SNP (I do vote for them, best option) who have some very good points and some I wouldn't associate myself with e.g. Trump, tho rumour has it that the cretin is about to receive a major shock.

Quite right fight your corner, it is a very beautiful part of England and needs to be looked after.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 05, 2011, 16:40
I'm not bored with this thread Seacat - everyone who has posted here has been marching to the same drumbeat (East Coker is also in the heart of Thomas Hardy country).

I've mentioned before the ongoing campaign by developers (and by local people to stop them) to build on land adjacent to Coate Water Country Park on the outskirts of Swindon, the land has a partially buried stone circle and is overlooked by ancient Liddington Hill. The land also has very strong connections with the writer Richard Jefferies who was brought up there. Unlike East Coker, however, Swindon is not a beautiful or tranquil place - it started as a small insignificant market town; Brunel built his Railway Factory there and it grew into a railway town; then it became an over-spill town to accommodate bombed-out Londoners and Polish refugees after WW2; finally the M4 was driven through, very close to Coate Water as it happens - destroying all in its path, woodland and archaeology. So why should anyone care about a few more green fields on the edge of a town described by many as a shite-hole. I care because Richard Jefferies is part of Swindon's heritage as are what's left of the streams and meadows that used to surround the town - its a town about people, working (or not) people, sometimes poor people. And they have said they've had enough.

This is a circular debate though as it comes back to a ever expanding population who need houses, services, energy, water and jobs - it is that expanding population needs to be addressed. I don't know how that can be done humanely - should old people be pressurised to commit suicide when they reach a certain age, should younger people be told they can only have one child (as in China), should immigration laws be very much more stringent. There are no easy solutions.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Oct 05, 2011, 17:17
Absolutely not boring at all, matey! :)

Depressing, maybe, but that's hardly your fault...

Some of us live and breathe the heritage protection issues so it's nice to see other people take an interest too.

You carry on, sir - you're doing a grand job! :)

G x
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2011, 16:15
Oct 05, 2011, 18:26
tjj wrote:
I'm not bored with this thread Seacat - everyone who has posted here has been marching to the same drumbeat (East Coker is also in the heart of Thomas Hardy country).

I've mentioned before the ongoing campaign by developers (and by local people to stop them) to build on land adjacent to Coate Water Country Park on the outskirts of Swindon, the land has a partially buried stone circle and is overlooked by ancient Liddington Hill. The land also has very strong connections with the writer Richard Jefferies who was brought up there. Unlike East Coker, however, Swindon is not a beautiful or tranquil place - it started as a small insignificant market town; Brunel built his Railway Factory there and it grew into a railway town; then it became an over-spill town to accommodate bombed-out Londoners and Polish refugees after WW2; finally the M4 was driven through, very close to Coate Water as it happens - destroying all in its path, woodland and archaeology. So why should anyone care about a few more green fields on the edge of a town described by many as a shite-hole. I care because Richard Jefferies is part of Swindon's heritage as are what's left of the streams and meadows that used to surround the town - its a town about people, working (or not) people, sometimes poor people. And they have said they've had enough.

This is a circular debate though as it comes back to a ever expanding population who need houses, services, energy, water and jobs - it is that expanding population needs to be addressed. I don't know how that can be done humanely - should old people be pressurised to commit suicide when they reach a certain age, should younger people be told they can only have one child (as in China), should immigration laws be very much more stringent. There are no easy solutions.

Yes there are. Stop recklessly breeding? Cool. Consideration of our collective habitual and unconscious disgraceful behaviour as a species? Yes. And Yes. As Bill Hicks so sagely said, we are ,a virus with shoes,. I'm sick to death of the 'my human right to keep breeding as much as I want brigade'... selfish vanity and stupidity. It will be the death of us all, and hopefully some of what's left will continue. If we don't sort it out soon we only have ourselves to blame. Mother Earth will endure.

ps: I do think there's a lot of hope by the way, due to the numinous people like your good self. I see and hear it as well in the most suprising places these days.

AUM

edited: for meaning clarity and swearing lapse!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 06, 2011, 07:20
No, not boring, it's a civic duty to point out what's happening. Here's another government minister with yet another lie to justify it -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045371/Planning-reform-High-house-prices-destroying-family-life.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
We're doing it to save family life, honest...

I may have said, or was it to the bus queue? if they'd insist only starter homes can be built, and on brownfields sites rather than luxury ones on greenfield sites they'd solve the housing shortage and house price inflation and the threats to the countryside in a trice. Trouble is, their builder-mates who "advised" on this policy, would make a lot less money. Sick. This is actually turning out MUCH more pernicious than Thatcher.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 06, 2011, 12:14
Thankyou very much - I appreciate it. It's the thread that wont go away, much as I wish it would. Everyday there's some new heinous example of the latest outrage from these Cultural Asset Strippers.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2011, 12:55
Oct 06, 2011, 12:19
Exactly. More pernicious than Thatcher indeed. The broader environmental issues here and Cameron's blatant posturings whilst paying feeble and smirking lip service to them, are disgraceful as well as being blatant lies:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/oct/06/road-building-plans-tory-government

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/damian-carrington-blog/2011/oct/05/cameron-conservative-green-economy-climate-change
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Oct 06, 2011, 12:38
Sorry, guys - I think you've accidentally made it look like you're replying to one of my posts. That's what we used to do in the old days. The rules have changed now. ;)

G x
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 124 25 26 27 28 29 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index